No announcement yet.

Troubleshooting IMD and hum in a 1959SLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in the meantime, I turned on to take some voltages as is....

There is DEF a problem here. On one side of the output tranny, the amp hums when checking the B+ on pin 3 and does not give a very stable VDC reading. The other pair seem fine.

Powered down, cleaned and rehit a bunch of joints, even though they looked fine. Traced (again) through the power section all the way to the plates, all seems fine.

Changed tubes from another working amp - same thing... hum on Pin 3 of one side of the output tranny... it ends up reading 485 VDC here while the other dside reads 515VDC. Pin 5 (bias) all read -49VDC.

CT to pin 3 on all sockets read good... 16ohm on one pair and 18ohm on the other.

My next thoughts are to just replace everything on the side that is acting wierd... sockets, any resistors etc, even if all is tracing out okay. What else could I do??
    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr0 View Post
      Well, in the meantime, I turned on to take some voltages as is....

There is DEF a problem here. On one side of the output tranny, the amp hums when checking the B+ on pin 3 and does not give a very stable VDC reading. The other pair seem fine.

Powered down, cleaned and rehit a bunch of joints, even though they looked fine. Traced (again) through the power section all the way to the plates, all seems fine.

Changed tubes from another working amp - same thing... hum on Pin 3 of one side of the output tranny... it ends up reading 485 VDC here while the other dside reads 515VDC. Pin 5 (bias) all read -49VDC.

CT to pin 3 on all sockets read good... 16ohm on one pair and 18ohm on the other.

My next thoughts are to just replace everything on the side that is acting wierd... sockets, any resistors etc, even if all is tracing out okay. What else could I do??
      What's B+? I'd suspect trouble with the socket where pin 3 reads high. 515vdc suggests the tube is not conducting? So either the plate pin or the cathode pin not making good contact with the tube.

edit: of course, an open screen connection would also prevent the tube from conducting. Maybe a 1k screen stopper is actually 100k in circuit? Checking voltages with tubes out would not reveal this. What are all the voltages on the power tube sockets with tubes in? Just for grins, swap tubes and repeat the measurements.
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

B+ at the filters is 515VDC

The 485 side is the side humming while checking plate voltage.
        "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

I think you are triggering a power amp HF oscillation when touching the plates with your meter probe. Symptoms are typical: lowered DCV reading and humming.
          The meter lead causes a positive feedback by parasitic capacitance. It only happens on one side of the OT primary as the other side is 180° out of phase.

You should get symmetrical plate voltage readings if you disconnect the NFB loop. Sometimes it also helps to turn presence fully up.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            I think you are triggering a power amp HF oscillation when touching the plates with your meter probe. Symptoms are typical: lowered DCV reading and humming.
            The meter lead causes a positive feedback by parasitic capacitance. It only happens on one side of the OT primary as the other side is 180° out of phase.

You should get symmetrical plate voltage readings if you disconnect the NFB loop. Sometimes it also helps to turn presence fully up.
            I think you meant "touching the grids".?. This sounds like a probability, but I've never seen it. I'm interested to hear if this is what's happening because it seems like a rare problem and an intuitive observation.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I think you meant "touching the grids".?.
              No I meant plates. Power tube plates are the highest gain and amplitude "outputs" of a tube amp. Connecting a long lead to them produces a transmitting antenna.
              The oscillation eats power and thus loads the power supply, increasing ripple. Ripple at the speaker output is further increased by OT primary impedance asymmetry at HF. As now there is HF signal at the plates, average plate voltages must drop.

With a scope having sufficient bandwidth you could see the HF.

I am familiar with this artefact especially from servicing Marshalls. It's much more likely in amps using a lot of global NFB.

Anyway it's just a measuring artefact and no real amp problem. But the oscillation may be very high amplitude and is likely to stress the OT.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-15-2019, 02:43 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank you for the info!

I do have an oscope that recently stopped giving me a trace, and have a new one on the way, but that wont be for at least a week.

At any rate, I replaced the 4 power tube sockets again. I originally replaced them with what I thought were known working ones... so this time I used brand new... and well if nothing else I spent more time doing a solder job on these points at least.

And if what your saying is true, I should expect the same behavior?

the presence circuit is, as always ;-), on full.. 100kΩ r to the 8Ω tap from a quick look...

If I get the same behavior, I will unsolder it nfb from the 8Ω tap and recheck.

Thank you!!

Comment

Look at it this way:

If the voltage drop of 30V across a primary half was caused by high idle (DC) plate current, this would mean a total current of 1.77A and a dissipation of 866W for the 2 tubes (assuming a typical primary half DCR of 17 Ohm for a 100W Marshall OT). Not very likely

There is simply no component (tubes, resistors, sockets, transformers) in an amp that could take that much power without melting, burning, exploding - and of course fuses would blow.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-15-2019, 04:01 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

So after replacing tube sockets, rewiring everything on the power amp basically, I got the same result... that is until I turned down the presence pot from 10 to 1... then I got the same reading on pin 3, 514 VDC.

So it made me look at the presence wiring... and while it actually is 47k to 8Ω tap (earlier I quoted 100k), I can find no error in the wiring.... does this sound correct?

Helmholtz, I have not seen this before, is this typical that the presence circuit will do this to voltages?

Thanks all for your wisdom!!

Comment

Helmholtz, I have not seen this before, is this typical that the presence circuit will do this to voltages?
                      Assuming the presence works as intended, the position of the presence pot does not actually change plate voltages, it just changes the amount and phase of HF NFB, thus influencing stabilty conditions (phase margin).
                      What actually changes plate voltages is your positive meter lead by causing oscillation.

Did you try without NFB?
                      Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-15-2019, 05:12 PM.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Assuming the presence works as intended, the position of the presence pot does not actually change plate voltages, it just changes the amount and phase of HF NFB, thus influencing stabilty conditions (phase margin).
                        What actually changes plate voltages is your positive meter lead by causing oscillation.

Did you try without NFB?
                        No I did not, only because turning the pres knob down seemed to rectify the situation... should I? I placed the positive lead to the plate and turned the pres pot and the voltages were going back to normal (rising toward 515 VDC) as I tuned the pot toward zero.

An another thing I have noticed since rewiring is that the hum does not seem to be a factor now, although the ghost notes still remain though only noticeable on high solo notes.

Comment

... should I?
                          Not really necessary, at least it won't give me additional information.

Ghost notes (= intermodulation distortion) mean that some residual hum or ripple mixes up with your guitar signal. Without a scope it will be hard to find the culprit.

Do you have a dummy load? If yes, you should insert a 100mV/400Hz sine signal at the input, adjust controls to get 35VRMS at the power tube grids and measure output power.
                          It is also a good idea to wire 1 Ohm resistors between each EL34 cathode and ground. This allows to individually check the idle currents of the tubes. Won't have any effect on sound.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It is also a good idea to wire 1 Ohm resistors between each EL34 cathode and ground. This allows to individually check the idle currents of the tubes. Won't have any effect on sound.
                            ha. *just* removed them yesterday because I take bias a different way... but I am intrigued... it'll take me a few days, but I will do this!

Thanks for the info!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr0 View Post
                              ... the voltages were going back to normal (rising toward 515 VDC) as I tuned the (presence) pot toward zero.
                              Do you mean to say that adjusting the presence control is changing the plate voltage?
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X