X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey - big sale

Passed along from a friend:

https://www.cagp.com/events/inventor...y-electronics/

Peavey appears to be cleaning house, parts they no longer need as well as equipment they no longer need. Lots of interesting stuff, though I tend to doubt I would get the chance to buy three pots and a transformer.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Peavey UK sold up a few years ago. A few studios and music shops bought a lot of equipment and I had about 18 months of mainly Peavey repairs. Much of it was customer warranty returns where they'd just sent out a replacement. Many of the tube amps had basic faults - 1/2 hour fixes and I wondered why Peavey had never even taken the trouble to take a look at what's wrong. Most of the mixers and PA amps needed a lot of work (in some cases fairly extensive) and the bargain gear didn't turn out to be such a good deal in the end.

Comment

Holy crap, is Peavey moving to China ?
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
        Holy crap, is Peavey moving to China ?
        I started seeing China-made Peavey Valve King amps show up for repair about 10 years ago.

If I'm not mistaken Peavey started moving their manufacturing from Mississippi to China in the early 2000's & completed the task by the mid 20-teen's, maintaining offices & support (parts) facilities in Meridian MS. There was a big flap after Peavey got national attention a few years ago on the show "Undercover Boss." Shortly after the puff-piece show aired, the factory featured in the program was shut down, hundreds out of work suddenly. Those of us who were paying attention saw this as a cynical means to polish Peavey's reputation just before they gave their workforce the axe & followed the national trend to shut down US manufacturing and ship it elsewhere. Peavey's machinery & jobs packed off to where the hammer & sickle fly on the red flag. What remaining factories there were in Mississippi, also shut down & moved in quick order. Needless to say, unemployment soared in ol' Miss.

Now it looks like they're downsizing the remaining Meridian facility. We gotta get you better bandwidth in Texas Mr. Thud!

FWIW, another perfectly good and successful, and profitable! manufacturer moved lock stock & now barrel too, to China. I'm not happy about that, at all!
        Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 08-02-2019, 12:27 PM.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'm sure we will all start to see a lot of this stuff turn up on eBay and other sites, just like all of the Kustom speakers and parts that are out there now.

Comment

Here they are "sweeping the floor", no doubt to be able to sell and "empty and ready to use" big warehouse.

The heartbreaking auction was in 2015 where they literally sold "2 Electronics and Musical Instrument Factories"

Worst thing is that they did not move the Factory to China, just sold all the "antiquated obsolete" machinery and most probably subcontract ready made products from modern semi automated Chinese OEM factories.

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...ize=240&page=6

I knew about the auction 10 days after, would have flown to USA just to buy their big magnetizer, the one used for Black Widow speakers and their 220mm monster magnets.

Worst is that most machinery did not sell at all , who´s crazy enough to get into an Industry where none less than Peavey failed?
            I mean, with US made products that is.

They sold some 60 amp assembly workbenches, same amount of PACE and similar solder stations, 4 or 5 HUGE folding presses/brakes, one of them CNC, magnetizers (the one I craved and smaller belt fed ones for smaller speakers), more than a dozen mechanical presses, hundreds of forming and punching dies, 2 voice coil winding machines, 3 or 4 glue applicators and 1 dome glue one to assemble speakers, automated PCB test benches, dozens of pneumatic screwdrivers, riveters, drills, test benches, hundreds of hand tools, a Tolex gluing machine, some 30 or 40 unopened "Peavey Tolex" rolls, painting booth , paint drying ovens; silkscreening machines, the catalog pictures alone take some 200 pages

It´s INCREDIBLE how much stuff is held and used in a real Factory.

But worst is that there were no Chinese queuing up to buy all those wonders, for the very good reason that they already have way better at home.

Sorry to say this but US "lost the train" LONG ago, and by its own greed; there´s no other explanation.

Oh well.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hey even at my level...

When I closed up shop, I realized the gear I made a living with was old and used, not worth nearly what I would like it to be.

PV held out a lot longer than most of the industry when it came to moving it all to China.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm super bummed at all of the industry moving to China.

Before saying anything else, I'll say that I have a Gretsch made in China... and I just really can't say a bad thing about it - the work is .... well it doesn't look to be made by humans... it's flawless. Not that I am in anyway loving of flaws... I have a beautiful Gibson SG Supreme that looks like it has chiseled or some kind of cutting marks all over the fretboard in the higher areas. In fact I will attach a photo....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	854432

But the guitar is so f&*%$ing beautiful... flaws can be easily overlooked...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1870.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	854433

This thing connects to me, at the soul level.

While the gretsch is literally flawless, it sits in a guitar case - I haven't played it in years.

For me, it is more cultural... the Western world is so steeped in the music/rock n roll culture and products made in these areas seem to ooze it... of course not all products, and perhaps I am romanticizing it a bit. And I would say without hesitation that Japan is an exception. Ever see that Brian Setzer live in Japan dvd? Holy crap! Awesome.

What I absolutely despise - especially as a person who LOVES to build amps with the highest quality parts... when buying small parts... fuse holders, pots, resistors etc... you have to assume they are ALL built in China... because if they are not, the manufacturer will make sure you know it! Well, that's the opinion that I have arrived to - as of last week.

And now we are seeing guitars come in from China, Indonesia etc where the price tag is over 1,000 euros... at least in my local music shop. As inflation continues to rise, that gap of prices between Western and Eastern products will shrink until it no longer matters where it comes from.

When I am building amplifiers, I try hard as hell to get products from UK, US, EU, JAPAN, MEXICO... not in any particular order. I'd rather pay a bit more to support my neighbors though too.

And finally, I am an American... living in Belgium. A web developer on an American paycheck, transferring into euros (losing in the conversion) where things are at least 20% more expensive... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Plus VAT
                "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr0 View Post
                  And finally, I am an American... living in Belgium. A web developer on an American paycheck, transferring into euros (losing in the conversion) where things are at least 20% more expensive... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Plus VAT
                  Don't worry much. Everything Chinese made just went up 25% as of yesterday, for USA buyers. As if that's going to help make manufacturing move back to the USA.

Hmm, I guess all Chinese vacuum tubes just went up 25% too. What a benefit for Russia! And Slovakia too.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                    Don't worry much. Everything Chinese made just went up 25% as of yesterday, for USA buyers. As if that's going to help make manufacturing move back to the USA.

Hmm, I guess all Chinese vacuum tubes just went up 25% too. What a benefit for Russia! And Slovakia too.
                    haa. no doubt.
                    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Working...
                    X