Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markbass Combo II mini CMD 121 P blown speaker

Hey techs,
    Anyone have experience replacing the neo 12" speaker in this combo? I know that its made by B&C. I've contacted VST which is the exclusive Markbass distributor and warranty service center in USA but they are out of stock and unable to confirm the stock B&C model. The B&C 12CL64 looks exactly like the stock Markbass 12LVY1-8 without the yellow cone and sticker on the magnet. Only person who can answer this at B&C is on vacation so I was hoping that someone here might have experience with this. I've alreeady tried replacing with an Eminence Delta 12A as a quick alternative but the output was reduced and just didn't sound good in that tiny cab. I don't usually like neo speaker and class D amps but this little combo sounds really good but seems to need the exact speaker to make the magic happen.

No experience to match. But my go to place for B&C is US Speaker in NJ. Here's a link to their B&C 12" selection:

http://www.usspeaker.com/B%20&%20C%2...m#12%20WOOFERS

Al the boss might be of help, if he hasn't clocked out yet for the weekend. Maybe we'll have some better answers soon.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      No experience to match. But my go to place for B&C is US Speaker in NJ. Here's a link to their B&C 12" selection:

http://www.usspeaker.com/B%20&%20C%2...m#12%20WOOFERS

Al the boss might be of help, if he hasn't clocked out yet for the weekend. Maybe we'll have some better answers soon.
      Thanks Leo, I caught him just before he took off for vacation. Very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by 65ampman View Post
        HA! I'll bet he's headed for Fort Myers or thereabouts. A friend of mine is scheduled to meet with him there. Glad it worked out.

Comment

Which means????????????????????????

Which is the regular B&C speaker which fits there instead of the original one?

As in: "XYZ model is the exact equivalent of original UVW one"

Thanks.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hey Juan, I gave the exact model # of the original markbass driver and a suspected B&C replacement. Please read my original post. I'm asking if anyone can confirm that this is indeed the same or very close replacement if my wording wasn't clear.

Comment

Yes, your original post offers a *suspected* solution.

Your post #3 says the Markus Bass manager is a very helpful guy.

Nice to know but no new data one way or the other.

To put it in other words: what does "very helpful" mean?
              Did he confirm B&C 12CL64 is the proper one?
              Did he suggest another?

The doubt remains .
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Nothing is certain but Leo's friend Al from usspeaker.com plugged in the cabinet dimensions from the Markbass combo into his modelling program and concluded that the B&C 12CL64 is the closest match from any 12" driver that he stocks or is aware of but he was out of stock. I ordered one from Parts Express and will follow up when I have confirmed that it sounds right .

Comment

Nothing is certain but Leo's friend Al from usspeaker.com plugged in the cabinet dimensions from the Markbass combo into his modelling program and concluded that the B&C 12CL64 is the closest match from any 12" driver that he stocks or is aware of but he was out of stock. I ordered one from Parts Express and will follow up when I have confirmed that it sounds right .
                  I'd have to say, that qualifies as very helpful. And in the end, he didn't even make a sale...

Parts Express is another good outfit, and faster shipping as they'll be closer to you.

Don't forget, new speakers need a bit of a break in before they deliver full bass. I hope the one you ordered works well for you. Looking forward to the follow up.

Comment

Thanks
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just received the new B&C 12CL64. Unfortunately, it is not an exact match. The magnet is slightly smaller and it sounds smaller as well. Not as deep and not quite as efficient/loud in the same cab. Will have to order the original from VST and wait... no idea when they will restock. Every markbass repair is like this. Proprietary parts and little help from distributor.
                      Last edited by 65ampman; 08-13-2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Just got off the phone with AL at US Speaker, very helpful. My MarkBass CMD121P speaker has a rip in it, he says likely from playing too loud, but I'm a bit skeptical about that. Anyhow, what he recommends, since I'm not planning on using any extension cabs, is the BEYMA 12WR400 @4 ohms. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Based on some of the posts here, I'm not inclined to use the B&C. Al says the Beyma will pull more power from the amp since it's 4 ohms and should be good tonally...I don't play slap or use a pick, I'm more a James Jamerson style player.

Comment

I discovered that the OEM speaker manufacturer for Markbass is LaVoce based in Italy. There is a generic version of the yellow coned original that may have the exact same specs. I cant find the email with the model # but I contacted Loudspeakers Plus in Manteno Illinois and Jay helped me narrow it down. I havent ordered one yet as I went with the Markbass original this time but next time a replacement woofer is needed I will definitely try it as the cost was half of the Markbass labelled yellow cone version.
                          I tried several familiar 12" bass drivers and nothing sounded right. That original yellow speaker was designed for the tiny Markbass combo cabinet and has a greater compliance/excursion than most others.
                          Good luck if you try something different.

Comment

Originally posted by caribconsult View Post
                            Just got off the phone with AL at US Speaker, very helpful. My MarkBass CMD121P speaker has a rip in it, he says likely from playing too loud, but I'm a bit skeptical about that. Anyhow, what he recommends, since I'm not planning on using any extension cabs, is the BEYMA 12WR400 @4 ohms. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Based on some of the posts here, I'm not inclined to use the B&C. Al says the Beyma will pull more power from the amp since it's 4 ohms and should be good tonally...I don't play slap or use a pick, I'm more a James Jamerson style player.
                            I would think 500 watts into that tiny enclosure would be too much, especially if the driver isn't really specially tuned for it. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post

I would think 500 watts into that tiny enclosure would be too much, especially if the driver isn't really specially tuned for it. YMMV.
                              Also the stock set up (@8ohms) is 300W into a 400W rated speaker. The amp puts out 500W at 4 ohms and the Beyma is also only rated for 400W. Makes me question the 'knows what he's talking about' a little bit. Especially if he is the one that said the rip in the speaker was from playing too loud.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X