Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7591's
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
      Home made amps are economical amplifiers made from cheap parts.
      There might be a language barrier responsible here.?. But says who? Certainly they CAN be, but I think they're usually not. At least not in my world. Even most "kit" amps often have parts developed or selected for the amplifier industry and then are rebranded. Who puts the time into planning and building an amp and chooses cheap parts for the job. In the scope of such a project component cost is the least significant factor in the overall expense when weighed against time. I have built amps from whatever parts I had on hand, but trust me, they aren't "cheap" parts.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
        Home made amps are economical amplifiers made from cheap parts.
        Every major investment adds to their unnecessary value, but it will still be home made.
        Describes some home made "attempts" at amps I've seen, where the engineer wannabee paid big $$$ for Mercury transformers, because they make your amp sound fantastic! Then Tommy Ten Thumbs slings the rest together with the greatest of ease, smoke comes out instead of sound, and it winds up here for a post mortem. "I'm sure you can fix it for fifty bucks, evvabody sez you're a genius!"
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          7591's
          This looks like a very good proposal.

Just don't expect the PT to support more than 30W of output power (regardless of tubes used).
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            There might be a language barrier responsible here.?. But says who? Certainly they CAN be, but I think they're usually not. At least not in my world. Even most "kit" amps often have parts developed or selected for the amplifier industry and then are rebranded. Who puts the time into planning and building an amp and chooses cheap parts for the job. In the scope of such a project component cost is the least significant factor in the overall expense when weighed against time. I have built amps from whatever parts I had on hand, but trust me, they aren't "cheap" parts.
            Dear colleague no one here has mentioned anyone, or questioned his expertise, so there is no need for explain.
            My comment is just one thinking about validity (great) investment in repairing handmade amps.

A distinction should be made between a hand made and a kit amps.
            Hand made is hand made, in its construction is invested all the knowledge, and all the ignorance of the individual who designed it, while kit was designed by a professional team of skilled people.
            It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
            X