Installing Ubuntu, Mint, etc. on a New Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Ubuntu, Mint, etc. on a New Hard Drive

For those wanting to setup a drive and transition to Ubuntu or Mint, this is how I do it.
    I wanted to show how to layout a new, or spare Hard Drive, to install one or more Linux Distros.
    If you let Ubuntu setup your drive with the auto function, you will end up with one big Partition, that limits later additions and flexibility.
    I start with putting Ubuntu on a USB thumb drive and booting to it live.
    You can add as many partitions as you want, This one is limited by it being an old 500gb Seagate, I had laying around!
    Screenshot 1 starts with opening a Partitioning tool called Gparted.
    Screenshot 2 shows installing the gpt partition table, this will erase the drive and prep it for partition additions.
    Screenshot 3 shows adding the efi fat32 boot partition.
    The next few screenshots show adding 4 ext4 partitions for Linux, 1 will be used and 3 left spare.
    Next we add the Linux-Swap partition 6, which linux uses like RAM.
    Partition 7 is a ext4 Storage Partition.
    So I ended up with a GPT Partition setup with 7 partitions.
    partition
    1 efi boot
    2 Ubuntu
    3-5 Spare, for future use
    6 Linux Swap partition used for addition temp ram like storage
    7 Is a Storage partiotion for permanent file, picture, and document storage.

This post is just Partition setup.
    The Drive is partitoned and ready to Install Ubuntu or Mint.
    Post 2 will be actually installing Ubuntu on partition 2.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-10-2019, 09:03 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

From post one, the Drive is all partitioned and ready to install Ubuntu or Mint (both use the same similar Installer).
    Click on the Install Icon.
    Step through the installation.
    For installation type, select the "something else", so you can select which partition to install the ubuntu to.
    Select and change partition 1, for efi, select, and change partition 2 for Ubuntu.
    Next select install.
    That should install Ubuntu to partition 2, and install the boot loader on partition 1.
    If anyone has any install tips or comments, please jump in.
    T
    ** Note: I didn't setup the wifi during the install, but do it at the next boot-up at power up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-09-2019, 03:03 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Before I remove the 500gb Seagate, I installed for Disk partition setup testing, I thought I would add distros on the other 3 spare Partitions.
      On partition 3, will add Ubuntu Mate 19.04.
      It installs the same, Choose "Something Else", then install the linux on parttition 3, and select partition 1 for the boot loader.
      It comes with the dark theme, in the next to last screenshot, I changed it to a lighter theme, and a different wallpaper.
      Last Screenshot is of the Partition layout "Gparted". Notice in gparted the little key next to some of the partitions.
      That shows the partition is Mounted and in use, and is a safety feature, you can't make changes to an active partition in use.
      See Screenshots.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by big_teee; 08-12-2019, 04:44 PM.
      Terry

Comment

Partition 4, gets Xubuntu 19.04.
        Same install process different distro.
        See Screenshots.
        T
        **Partition 5 will be the last, of the 4 linux distros, and I will attempt to put on, Fedora FC30 Workstation (Gnome).
        Mixing and doing multi-boot Ubuntu, with Fedora is Tricky at best.
        We'll see how it goes?
        TBC
        Attached Files
        Last edited by big_teee; 08-15-2019, 04:34 AM.
        Terry

Comment

Here's a Look at the Fedora FC30 Workstation Install, I put on partition 5.
          I got sidetracked on some other projects, that came up, but got back to it today.
          Fedora is a bit harder to get installed and setup, but it is super stable, once you get it like you want it.
          FC30 Workstation, means it comes with the Gnome desktop.
          You can download it for free, here!
          https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
          The last Photo, is a photo of the Grub Bootloader. The linux partitions are listed 2-5.
          I had to take a picture with a camera, and it is a bit hard to see, but there is no way to take a screenshot of it.
          That is the screen I get when I power up, and the grub bootloader allows you to select the Linux OS you want to use, on a multiboot system.
          See the Screenshots.

GL,
          T
          Attached Files
          Last edited by big_teee; 08-22-2019, 09:02 PM.
          Terry

Comment

Working...
          X