No announcement yet.

Pickup dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been discussed many times here, taping, or double dipping with lacquer.
    When you build, or rewind, you need to do one or the other.
    I tape, and wax pot, end of problem.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

It works usually. Not always. I had just a '74 Jazz Bass PU that had a broken coil inside (∞ Ω). It had plain enamel wire and 'has' tape around the magnets. Magnets had no rust or other corrosion. No mechanical damage, cleaned and resoldered the eyelets.
      Has somebody idea what had happened?

Comment

Has somebody idea what had happened?
        Well you had the chance to get a clue during disassembly. Did you find the point of wire rupture? Was the PU lacquer potted?
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

HI
          No I didn't found the rupture. I think it was l. potted, because the inner wires were quite loose. I tried to unwind but the wire snapped once, and I cutted the coil because I was in a hurry.

Comment

I especially distrust lacquer potted Fender PUs. Meanwhile I found 2 such early 70s strat PUs, where the coils completely separated from magnets and flatwork. You can feel the coils shift with a little pushing. Shaking the PUs produces a click-clack sound. Also DCR and L/Q values are not stable. Will be rewound.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
            X