PT and OT transformer core orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also vote for using headphones to orient transformers
    Yeah, that's what I did 40 years ago. I used a cheap "crystal" piezo earphone connected across the OT primary. Worked great. Meanwhile I have a scope.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
      Check out pages 5-13 of this preview

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mw...page&q&f=false
      Can't praise Morgan Jones' books enough.

The other volume, about tube amp theory, is probably one of the best tube amp texts you can buy.

Because of this particular book I started building my own mixed aluminum + brass chassis.

I needed good electrical conductivity for my star grounding with as little as possible magnetic conductivity.

This is what I came up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4650.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	854653

The mid section is 2 to 3mm thick brass or mixed aluminum with a thin sheet of brass under it (note on side photo below). (Pure 3mm brass is too expensive so for my experiments I used aluminum + brass.) I could then easily solder electrical terminals to the brass layer that faced the circuit.

The structure was made out of L shaped aluminum profiles (aluminum chassis assembly idea copied straight out of Morgan Jones book) as such:

Name:	chassi_aluminio.jpg
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	854655

My transformers would sit on the brass or aluminum middle section.

Name:	DSC_8080.JPG
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	854654

Zero magnetic noise. (And electrical conductivity for proper grounding don't get much better than brass.)

Out of respect for square law m-field, I always set the transformer laminations at 90 degrees regardless of how far:

Name:	DSC_8081.JPG
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	854656
      Valvulados

Comment

And electrical conductivity for proper grounding don't get much better than brass.
        Copper and aluminum are better electrical conductors than brass.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Most amplifier chassis are made out of steel. My experiment was an attempt to improve on that.

The above amplifier is dead quiet which is what I wanted to achieve.
          Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            Sometimes I used this kind of brass pipe (3 mm dia.) for long grounding bus (meant double surface conduction for same section). I did not notice any diferences in term of noise in respect with cooper bus wire. One remark think should be done regards physical contacts between cooper/brass and aluminium as both tends to protect by auto oxidation and in contact each with another develop thin layer of oxide which maximise residual resistance.

Name:	20190824_223155.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	854657
            Last edited by catalin gramada; 08-24-2019, 08:59 PM.
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
              Sometimes I used this kind of brass pipe (3 mm dia.) for long grounding bus (meant double surface for same section). I did not notice any diferences in term of noise in respect with cooper bus wire. One remark think should be done regards physical contacts between cooper/brass and aluminium as both tends to protect by auto oxidation and in contact each with another develop thin layer of oxide which maximise residual resistance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54885[/ATTACH]
              You shouldn't have to solder brass/copper and aluminum.

The main point here is that the transformer will always induce some tiny current on a steel chassis but not on aluminum or brass.

The tiny electrical conductivity differences between metals in chassis-distances won't generate perceivable voltages with signal-level currents. The metal conductivity was picked from my reply but it was definitely not the main point. Brass is acceptable, that's the point.
              Valvulados

Comment

I did not notice any diferences in term of noise in respect with cooper bus wire. One remark think should be done regards physical contacts between cooper/brass and aluminium as both tends to protect by auto oxidation and in contact each with another develop thin layer of oxide which maximise residual resistance.
                For electrical resistance only cross section and specific conductivity matter - not surface. Low electrical resistance only matters with high ground currents. In most cases a heavy gauge copper bus is the best solution.

Only aluminum is known for noteworthy auto-oxidation, that's why it isn't easy to solder.

Especially if you have a ground loop also ground path inductivity matters.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                X