Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

survey: How much are you charging for rewinds???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• survey: How much are you charging for rewinds???

I thought maybe an updated consensus on rewinding fees might help with some awareness around standards. I'd be curious to know if I'm charging the correct amount based on what others charge. This would be for 1 bobbin of a standard size. I'm assuming fees would increase for odd size bobbins (i.e. pedal steel) or bobbin-less pickups. I know the cost of PE is more than poly so there will be variables that will change the quote. All comments and suggestions welcome!
    $40-$50
    41.67%
    $50-$60
    25.00%
    $60-$70
    8.33%
    $70-$80
    8.33%
    $80-$90
    0.00%
    Above $90
    16.67%

I think I charged $30 for the last rewind, I guess that might have been on the low side.

Comment

I've done some for free for friends.
      The most I've ever charged for a fender rewind is $45, and it had PE.
      Unless you're working on relics, most guys will buy and replace with a new pickup, before spending too much on a rewind.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

How long is it taking people? I mean, if its, say a wax potted humbucker, its a mess and its a dirty time consuming job cleaning it all up before rewinding it..
        I don't bother personally. Not unless there's sentimental value or its sent to me stripped and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I've done some for free for friends.
          The most I've ever charged for a fender rewind is $45, and it had PE.
          Unless you're working on relics, most guys will buy and replace with a new pickup, before spending too much on a rewind.
          GL,
          T
          That’s been my impression as well, except lately I’m getting the sense that I’ve been undervaluing my rates. I had a fellow come in with a Stimer gypsy jazz pickup (bobbinless) who was shocked that I only quoted him $80. I was in the middle of explaining that I’d have to set up a special jig on the winder etc etc and he stopped me mid sentence and said he would have expected at least $100. He said the pickup was worth over $300. Anyway it got me thinking.
          I also found on line the repair price guide for the big music chain store here in Canada Long & Mcquade. They break down the price of every repair job they provide. Under electronics they charge an hourly rate of $72 (released in 2017), and that’s not including parts. I know it takes me at least 1.5 hours from when I get a pickup to seeing if I can diagnose the problem and fix it without rewinding, carefully remove the old coil, set it up on the winder, put it back together, stick it in the potting bath, wipe it down, package it up. When I can I try to unwind a bit to count the TPL. That all takes time.

Comment

I agree one offs, like your bobbinless pickup would cost much more.
            On those price them so high, they will change their mind, or you will at least break even.
            But, on standard fender type pickups, I diagnose, take the exacto knife to the coil and wind it up.
            In my shop I pot everything.
            I charge a minimum of $5 extra for any pickup with a metal cover.
            I charge $10 extra for any tele pickup with cotton string.
            No charge if I can use black humbuker clothe tape, in leiu of the string.
            I charge $5-10 for pickups with 4 wire cable.
            Anything that adds additional work, or time to the job, you need to charge extra for.
            The cheapest thing you can rewind is a Strat pickup with single poly on it.
            Nearly as cheap to rewind is the strat pickup with double poly.
            Not as Pretty as PE, or Formvar, but single and double Poly, both sound great!
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 08-14-2019, 05:34 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

For a standard single coil (e.g. Strat, Tele, J-bass) I charge $65.

I tell customers, if the broken pickup is not a vintage pickup that repairing will help maintain the value of the instrument/pickup or increase it, don't spend the money on a rewind, buy a new replacement pickup.

Repair process includes:
              - stripping the old wire,
              - cleaning the rod magnets so that they is no rust left (even between the alnico rod magnets). .
              - clean the flatwork of old materials and dirt (e.g. lacquier, wax).
              - ensure the "cleaning" retains the natural patina
              - lacquer the cleaned bobbin
              - allowing the lacquer to fully cure (2 - 3 days).
              - tape around alnico magnets prior to rewinding
              - rewind with either HFV or PE to approximate vintage spec.
              - vacuum wax pot to level desired by customer.
              - provide a 2 year warranty on the work

For a humbucker, I charge $55 for the first coil and an additional $35 for the second if needed.

Non standard pickup rewinds are typically around the same amount unless there is something that takes a lot of time.

I reuse original leads, etc., where possible, but if they are too short as an example, new leads are installed.

I don't believe in doing rewinds for less than a notion of a bench rate per hour type calculation. If you do a top notch job, the pickup should pretty much be indistinguishable from original in terms of how it looks and how it sounds. If the customer is not happy with the result, I refund 100% of the fee and cut the coil. Happy to say that I have never had to do that.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by 22uf View Post
                if its, say a wax potted humbucker, its a mess and its a dirty time consuming job cleaning it all up before rewinding it..
                I don't bother personally.
                HB bobbins that have only wax and dirt clean up very quickly with a heat gun and a piece of cloth to wipe off the dirt and wax as it softens and melts.
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

I charge $50 for a humbucker bobbin, and $60 for single coils.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X