Clear All

• Airline Lapsteel String Trough Pickup

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_192200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	874863

Hello Folks!
    I got this Airline Style Pickup for a Coodercaster. The Pickup looks great but the sound is thin and nasty. Not to compare to my original Airline Lapsteels tone wich is fat and loud.
    The bobbins are made wrong, way too Slim and way too long. Wire must be wrong too.
    I want to rewind/rebuild the pickup with original style bobbins and wire. But I do not want to take my old pickup apart.
    Can you guys tell me wich wire and turns those old pickups had? Thanks David

5,000 turns 44 gauge per coil should be around 6K. There are 2 kinds one has 2 staggered bobbins and the other more rare one has 6 staggered bobbins. Coils humcancel stock but the magnets have to be the same polarity so the 3 bottom strings are out of phase with the 3 top or in the 6 bobbin version every other string is out of phase- of course you wont know unless you mix it with another pickup

Comment

Thanks Jason!
      That was the fact. I had always out of Phase tone in combi with a goldfoil neck pickup. I took the pickup apart and the coils have 3 poles each but the coils go under all 6 strings both.
      My vintage Airline has short coils, each for 3 top and 3 bottom strings. So I will rebuild my pickup with short coils to your specs.

Comment

interesting- never seen that model with two long coils. I have seen the dynamic- little different design- where some have one long single coil and others having split coils with 4 strings on one and 4 on the other so you get that same 4 strings out of phase with the other side.

Comment

Working...
        X