Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neodymium humbucker

Hi,
    so i just finished a humbucker with a neodymium magnet, i put 7000 turns of AWG 44 on a coil, 6500 turns of 43 on the other, for a RDC of 15k.
    The magnet is so strong that it attracts all the tools, it's annoying.
    Anyway the tone is not bad, it's agressive in high gain, with trebbles but not too much, and the low end a little muddy if the PU is close to the strings, but with 10mm between them, it's pretty good. On a crunch channel, the sound is powerfull and tends to lead tone already.
    I think it can suit to some metal guys and is not awfull at all.

So is there any advantage over C8, or A8?
    Which coil of the bridge neo pickup got the 44?
    The slug coil I'm guessing?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've made hundreds of bass humbuckers with neos, but I've found I'm not crazy about them in guitar pickups. They get muddy fast.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

i used only slug bobbins. OK, no real advantage, but i have to try a C8 trio magnets before to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I've made hundreds of bass humbuckers with neos, but I've found I'm not crazy about them in guitar pickups. They get muddy fast.
          Yes muddy for the low strings with distorsion. I will try on my future bass build.

Comment

I'd back way off the turns for both neo and C8, try 4000 instead of 7000. Also try 42 and 43 rather than 44/43. That should clean up some of the mud. N35 and/or smaller mag dimensions will help. N52 is overkill for a pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              I'd back way off the turns for both neo and C8, try 4000 instead of 7000. Also try 42 and 43 rather than 44/43. That should clean up some of the mud. N35 and/or smaller mag dimensions will help. N52 is overkill for a pickup.
              So late, but i tried with less winds and a neo bar, say RDC 9/10 k with 42 and 43 awg, and it's worse actually. Not because it's muddy, no, but because it's too brite. Too much trebbles. The lot of winds of my first proto rolled off a lot of highs, finally.

Comment

That makes sense. You might also try leaving a .015" (.3mm) air gap or more between the coil and the slugs/ pole screws.

Comment

Working...
                X