help with 9 pin tube sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with 9 pin tube sockets

I had built an amp with a steel chassis. I used self tapping screws. so there is no nut on the inside of the chassis. The benefit is that the screw shank is fairly far from the nearest tube pin, so even if the pin bends over a bit it has no chance of shorting to the screw.

A current project, I got an aluminum chassis, so no chance of using self tapping screws, at least not on this one, chassis is too soft. I bought a hardware kit from an amp parts vendor. With the socket bolted on, the edge of the nut is too close to the tube pins.

So, to the question: I found Cinch new old stock 9 pin sockets for 6 bucks. The bottom of these sockets has very very thick phenolic that would stick up from the bottom of the chassis, so the pins are actually above where the nut holds the socket in. But the problem is, the wiring would have like another 1/2" to travel before it hits the chassis, to run along the chassis, then up to the turret board.

Is this 1/2" or so extra wire length going to cause problems? Should I try to shellac the nut or maybe heat shrink the pin connection?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
    But the problem is, the wiring would have like another 1/2" to travel before it hits the chassis, to run along the chassis, then up to the turret board.

Is this 1/2" or so extra wire length going to cause problems?
    The poor electrons will be all outta breath by the time they get to the turrets. Better give 'em some Geritol! Maybe a shot of B12 besides...

but seriously now -

NO PROBLEM whatsoever. Build & enjoy!
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Awesome, thanks Leo! Will hit that "buy" button before these Cinch's sell out. Used to see these all the time, now more and more "last one!!"
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
        Awesome, thanks Leo! Will hit that "buy" button before these Cinch's sell out. Used to see these all the time, now more and more "last one!!"
        Hmm, maybe I ought to get some of those too. Every time I have to drill out the mounting holes on the currently available 9 pin sockets, grrrr.... what a hassle. If you don't mind, where? PM if you feel like it. Thanx!
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Sockets arrived a few days back and got an OMG vintage is good moment. Very solid, heavy feel, not even comparable to the mechanical/electromechanical stuff we get manufactured today.

Comment

Working...
          X