No announcement yet.

Fender Hotrod Deluxe Tone Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To rule out the speaker I would cable over to an external cabinet if one was available.

Comment

If this has been mentioned before then disregard, but is the speaker cable plugged into the correct jack? Viewing from back, the main speaker jack is the one on the left.

If that isn't connected wrong, does the extension speaker jack have issues? When not used its contacts are normally closed.

Sorry if this is obvious.

Comment

Just going to mention this as I've had amps come in with speaker cable plugged into wrong jack.

Comment

In my shop I keep a 5' speaker extension cord that makes quick work of trying different speaker configurations, or connecting to a cab when the chassis is on the bench.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	855436
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
            In my shop I keep a 5' speaker extension cord that makes quick work of trying different speaker configurations, or connecting to a cab when the chassis is on the bench.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]55003[/ATTACH]
            Sure, but both sides are RED!!! How will you know if the cable is connected in proper phase

Just playin' based on some earlier posts.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

"Sure, but both sides are RED!!! How will you know if the cable is connected in proper phase"

I checked it with my meter that is faulty maybe.

But to your point, one side is ribbed and one side is smooth, but I'm sure you know that.

Comment

Yes, yes.
                I'm sure most of us have all sorts of adapters a cables made up to test every type of input and output Jack's we may encounter.

As well as test speakers and loads.

Comment

"Yes, yes.
                  I'm sure most of us have all sorts of adapters a cables made up to test every type of input and output Jack's we may encounter."

I'm guessing the OP doesn't. That is who this was intended for.

Comment

I did another frequency response test and this time noted levels. The original Fender speaker was definitely degraded - which is something I've never seen before. I have since replaced it with the speaker Fender installs in the Hotrod Deluxe IV - a Celestion Type A, 8 ohm (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6BY5SA...302_E_DDE_dt_1). The amp is fat again and sounds great!

Once again, thank you all for pushing me in the right direction.

Comment

Speakers are DEFINITELY the most overlooked component in the tone game. And even at that there are a thousand options out there. I actually goaded tboy to start the "Trade Tent" branch of this forum in the hope that speaker testers/owners could sample more speakers with any given build than their budgets might otherwise allow. Unfortunately that concept hit the ground without even bouncing. But the point is that speakers are important!!! And as an amp builder (designer-ish) I've learned that the right speakers with the right amp can make absolutely all the difference. Short story time ...

My only local customer also owns a Peavey Classic 50. He didn't want to take his custom "Chuck" amps out for every gig and wanted me to make the Classic 50 more tone-ful and useful for his show. All it took was a speaker change!!! The amp had all the right things going for it response-wise in both channels, except for some subtle final EQ and how the amp responded in the mids to volume for the purposes of acoustic interaction. Since I was just off a prototype situation for the 2009 NAMM show I had been testing a bunch of different speakers for my prototypes. So I had several models on hand. After some trial and error, and REALLY SIGNIFICANT to any Classic 50 owners, it turns out that a pair of Eminence Private Jack's is a freekin' SUPERB match for that amp. The only modification I made to that amp was to replace the original (square magnet, crappy) Peavey speakers with this model and the tone was enviably good by most standards. How the speakers respond and compress (or not) at different frequencies within the useful range is critical. It turns out the Emi PJ's are intended for a closed back cabinet (in general) but in the Classic 50 cab they tone down the ice pick and accentuate the low mids with compression in all the right places. The greatest example of amp/speaker pairing I've experienced to date. So this phenomenon is very real.

In case no one took notes... You don't need a boutique amp. Or even one of mine! (though I'll stick with it ) Seriously, get a Peavy Classic 50 and load a pair of Private Jacks into it. Chimey Fender cleans and Eric Johnson leads. No $h!t.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It takes me about 15 seconds to evaluate a potential speaker problem in my shop. I have a 300 watt 15" cab under my bench with the 1/4" plug within reach. Sorts this type of thing real quick.

Comment

Working...
                        X