Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why i should buy a scope ( maybe not ) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    Exactly. Excessive screen node capacitance makes the amp feel stiff and lifeless - at least to me.
    for what kind of amp? a not that loud clean-ish amp?

just asking because it seems like high gain amps and also some loud basss amps a lot of the time tend to have 100uf screen node capacitance or sometimes even more.

Would you recommend NOT a large screen node capacitance for amps in general or only certain types of amp depending on playing style. just curious

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Exactly. Excessive screen node capacitance makes the amp feel stiff and lifeless - at least to me.
      What capacitor would put at this place ? To have an idea ...

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
        for what kind of amp? a not that loud clean-ish amp?

just asking because it seems like high gain amps and also some loud basss amps a lot of the time tend to have 100uf screen node capacitance or sometimes even more.

Would you recommend NOT a large screen node capacitance for amps in general or only certain types of amp depending on playing style. just curious
        I do mostly hi gain amps, and soldano, as a source of inspiration for me, use 220 µF for plates, 110 µF for screens after the choke, plus 50 and 10 µF in the preamp.

Comment

Originally posted by tepsamps View Post
          What capacitor would put at this place ? To have an idea ...
          In a 2 x 6V6 amp I would not go higher than 47µ but probably settle at a lower value after listening tests. There is some interdepence and dynamic interaction between filter nodes, and "optimal" cap values are influenced by the whole amp/power supply structure including PT (sag), rectifier type, choke value/placement or screen dropper and total amp power. SE power amps generally require better ripple filtering/higher filter capacitance than PP amps.

The preferred screen cap is best found by playing the amp.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by tepsamps View Post
            I do mostly hi gain amps, and soldano, as a source of inspiration for me, use 220 µF for plates, 110 µF for screens after the choke, plus 50 and 10 µF in the preamp.
            In the above design your use of 10uf in the preamp actually has them in parallel pairs. So your preamp nodes are 20uf. Just noting that.

The screen node won't benefit much in additional ripple rejection with the larger value. Maybe a difference of a tenth of a volt with 100uf instead of 22uf. And then there's sag with instantaneous current demands. The larger cap will hold a little steadier, but then recover a little slower. The smaller cap will undulate a little more with discharge/recharge that must be happening in real time with current. But the overall advantage to the larger cap is tiny. The disadvantages would be greater inrush current, slower recovery and additional expense.

Here's an overlay using Duncan's PSUD2. Stepped time recording a basic amplifier power supply after a delay of four seconds, recording for two seconds, stepped at five seconds.

60ma/75ma plates with a 100uf and 8ma/11ma screens with 100uf in teal and 22uf in red. I did the overlay with MSPaint.

Attached Files
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The charge/discharge time constants at the screen node define attack and release times of screen compression.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Would you recommend NOT a large screen node capacitance for amps in general or only certain types of amp depending on playing style.
                Just my personal preference for more blues oriented playing styles. I feel that large filter caps tend to make the power amp respond more like a SS amp or a PP amp with triodes.
                Bass players and metal players may prefer the tighter bass with larger cap values, though.
                Let your ears decide.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                  Depends on how much screen glow you're willing to accept.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                  X