brand new to wiring pickups, need jazzmaster winding info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new to wiring pickups, need jazzmaster winding info

Hi, i'm new to this site and new to pickup winding. I'm thinking about winding a set of Jazzmaster pickups. I know noting about single coil pickups so i was hoping someone could fill in the blanks. For winding a early year Jazzmaster pickup; What gage wire, How many wraps, North up or down, Magnet grade 2-3-5, To pot or not to pot?

thanks scott

There's lots of info on this forum that can be searched for.

I think this thread covers your needs
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=26280

... and welcome to the forum.

Comment

I have this Jazzmaster data in my library.
      Not sure who gave it to me.
      GL
      T
      ** Data came from Jim.
      https://music-electronics-forum.com/...661#post455661
      Post 33.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by big_teee; 09-06-2019, 12:25 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks Guys. very helpful
        scott

Comment

The JM is a pretty tough pickup to do starting out.
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Hey Copperheadroads. Fellow Canuck here. I am curious why you say the JM is a pretty touch pickup to start out with.

Comment

Originally posted by MadTrapper View Post
              Hey Copperheadroads. Fellow Canuck here. I am curious why you say the JM is a pretty touch pickup to start out with.
              My guess to why would a JM be hard job for a first pickup?
              Lots of wire turns, on such a narrow winding channel.
              .16- .20 inch magnet height between the flats.
              A strat pickup would be a much easier first pickup wind!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

That is sort of what I was assuming but I thought I should ask just to make sure

Comment

i am attempting my first complete guitar build including pickups. I'm sure you are correct that these pickups would not be the best to start with, but i think i will give it a shot. I just went to a estate sale this weekend where the fellow wound is own pickups for steel guitars and came back with a box of 42 gage wire and more caps and AB control pots that i could ever use. Missed the box full of pickups he made but they were all 7 or 8 pole. Got a Gibson pickup from the 70's though.
                  thanks again, scott

Comment

Hello Scott,

I have rewound quite a few vintage jazzmaster pickups and I thought I would add a few details that I haven't seen in the thread so far. First, I agree with Copper and Teee that winding a jazzmaster isn't the ideal or easiest first pickup to attempt. But if that is the guitar you are making and you are determined, it isn't the toughest one either, as long as you don't mind if you have to redo things sometimes. Here is the general data:

Neck pickups are typically wound clockwise looking from the top, with north polarity. The bridge pickups are wound the opposite, south polarity and counterclockwise looking from the top. Spacing between the top and bottom forbon that I have seen on vintage examples has been from .150 inches to .170, with the average being about .160. That is a pretty narrow channel. Magnets that I have seen on vintage ones were mostly if not all alnico 5 and the length has typically been about .465 to .470 inches. The diameter has been .187 inches. The best and most traditional wire for these is #42 plain enamel, but any single coated #42 wire should be fine. I typically put between 8000 to 9000 turns on depending if it is a bridge or a neck. I wouldn't worry much about any kind of scatter pattern, the wire will just go where it wants to anyway in such a narrow channel. As long as you don't get too carried away, it ought to fit in there. Definitely pot them. The start lead should be the black wire in both cases. That's about it and just don't be too disappointed if you have to cut off some wire and redo it if it doesn't work out, that's something I end up doing more than I would like to and I have rewound hundreds if not thousands of various pickups in the last ten or 12 years. My dad always told me, when the time comes and you don't know what to do, at least do something and if it fails then you will know that is one more thing that doesn't work.

hope this helps
                    www.sonnywalton.com
                    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Working...
                    X