Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why won't this power scaler circuit work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't this power scaler circuit work?

I have a Morgan AC40 in, stuck in 1/2 watt mode. Morgan is no help, after a couple of emails promising to send me parts, he has stopped responding. There is a little, nearly impossible to get at board with a small amount of parts that has three wires, B+ in, +out, and ground. It has a NTE 2973 N-Ch mosfet, two 100K resistors, a 1n4742 zener, a 10ohm 5 watt resistor and a volume pot. I replaced the 10 ohm because it was broken off the board when I got it. The 100Ks measure good. The pot is good, I replaced the mosfet thinking it tested bad, but no luck. That leaves the zener. I'm pretty sure it is a 1N4742, but my eyes aren't good, and man it is really small print.

So here is my best idea of what is going on. B+ is fed to the mosfet drain. + out comes off the mosfet source thru the 10 ohm 5watt on to the OT. The zener is cathode to gate, anode to +out. Shorting B+ to +out gives full power output.

I've been fooled by zeners before. This one measures 0.4v in one direction, and 0.5 in the other. Also, in series with a 1K resistor it drops 6.1 volts. A 1N4742 is supposed to be a 12v 1 watt zener. Do I have a partially bad zener?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

If the zener measures .4V one direction and .5V the other out of circuit, it's leaky/shorted.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

OK, I can accept that. Can someone explain why a defective zener would disable this circuit? I realize not having a schematic is problematic, but I am not adept at drawing one.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        Can someone explain why a defective zener would disable this circuit?
        The zener is a gate source protection diode (or it's for current limiting as below). If it's shorted it will turn the FET off.

Edit: The schematic will be something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vvrinn5x1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	854602
        Last edited by Dave H; 08-21-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

The components and description sound very similar to the VHT 12/20 special circuit - maybe even identical.

Comment

its the same old Dana Hall VVR that everybody use with different fancy name,because they "engineered" a special way to control the amazing power of their cathode bias amps,in house,in the full moon day.

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
              its the same old Dana Hall VVR that everybody use with different fancy name,because they "engineered" a special way to control the amazing power of their cathode bias amps,in house,in the full moon day.
              According to your description this is correct. l have the Hall VVR package with the drawings and schematic. Will share if you need and I can figure out how to post them..

Comment

It sounds like this zener is the problem, so I will get it ordered. Thanks guys! I will report back when it arrives. I had not heard of the Hall VVR. Pretty disappointed in Morgan for dropping the ball. It wouldn't have put him off too much to share the info.

Comment

Here are a couple looks at the cathode-bias VVR circuit.

Name:	VVR_MyVVRTop1.gif
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	854605

Name:	hall_vvr.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	854606
                  --
                  I build and repair guitar amps
                  http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Morgan is no help, after a couple of emails promising to send me parts, he has stopped responding.
                    Pretty disappointed in Morgan for dropping the ball.
                    Wow! Can "I" do this? Sell a product that breaks, tell the customer I'll take care of it and then just let time suck away the liability!?! I can think of all kinds of ways to make money with this scenario.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I am kind of concerned that both those drawings show 6v 1 watt zeners, and the labeling on the one I have I THINK makes it a 12v 1 watt. And the one I have drops ~6v. Should I be worried?

Comment

I am kind of concerned that both those drawings show 6v 1 watt zeners, and the labeling on the one I have I THINK makes it a 12v 1 watt. And the one I have drops ~6v. Should I be worried?
                        Do you have a second set of eyeballs to verify the part number or a clear pic that can be blown up?

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

We're not entirely sure what's going on in the circuit without a schematic. Does the zener go from G-S on the FET (check with meter). If so and it's for protection, the NTE2973 has a typical on state max Vgs of around 6V. So, a 12V zener isn't going to offer much protection. As long as you're replacing it anyway, I'd probably go with a 6V zener. Maybe the NTE is not an original part?

Comment

Also, in post #1, you said the diode, "measures 0.4v in one direction, and 0.5 in the other". In post #11 you said, "the one I have drops ~6v". I'm confused. Which is it?

Comment

Both. 0.4v in one direction, 0.5v in the other out of circuit on diode mode. In series with a 1K resistor on a power supply, it measures 6.1v across itself.

I am now confident saying the zener is a 1N4742A. Do I need to order another 6v one? I think this one is original. The mosfet, I don't know, and Morgan ain't saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X