Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Quality Bucker Keeper Bars? 49.2mm

Looking for quality 49.2mm keeper bars.

Got some from Mojotone...they're rusty as all hell!!! They're trash. Can't believe they would ship something like that.

Haven't kept up on alloys. I think 1018 is considered the "standard"?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PoorMan; 08-21-2019, 03:01 AM.

Any local machine shop would love to make a batch for you.

To remove rust from steel, soak in white vinegar for 4 hours or so. The rust will turn to goo that wipes right off. Rinse in cold water, towel dry. Just like new.

Comment

Thanks but I don’t wind much anymore so I’m not in the market to have a batch custom made. Not interested in trying to salvage these either.

Comment

What about these.
        I've never bought any, but they look good.
        https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...49-2mm-qty-10/
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

http://addiction-fx.com/gallery5.htm

Those are excellent.
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            They are...if that's what ADFX decides to send you. I bought some a few months back and received exactly the ones that Big_Teee linked to which are 1010, btw. I recognized them immediately and can get those for considerably less money from other sources. I called 'em out on this bait and switch, got only excuses in return and no apology AT ALL for deliberately sending me the wrong product. Not cool. Ruined my trust in ADFX which is too bad because they had some good stuff.

1018 is easy to find. I cut and drill my own now.
            Last edited by max oersted; 08-22-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

How were you able to tell they weren’t 1018?

Comment

Because were the exact same ones that Philly Luthier Tools have (they list as 1010), Mojotone also carried these for a hot minute too I believe. 8 hole instead of 10 and visibly in a side-by-side comparison, they were identical.

Perhaps ADFX got a fresh 1018 batch made and have them again. I'd ask for a photo first to confirm before ordering.

Comment

So, has anyone tonally tested the difference between a 1010, and a 1018 keeper bar?
                  I would think tonally, the screw or slug metal content would be more critical.
                  Since the screw or slug does go through the pickup coil?
                  The biggest issue I had with keeper bars, are most were metric, and were thinner than the bar magnet, and didn't fit properly!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by max oersted View Post
                    Because were the exact same ones that Philly Luthier Tools have (they list as 1010), Mojotone also carried these for a hot minute too I believe. 8 hole instead of 10 and visibly in a side-by-side comparison, they were identical.

Perhaps ADFX got a fresh 1018 batch made and have them again. I'd ask for a photo first to confirm before ordering.
                    I don't have 1010 keepers to compare, but here is the "1018" pic listed in the auction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	854624

Comment

Nice. If that photo is current and accurate, then you're in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                        Looking for quality 49.2mm keeper bars.

Got some from Mojotone...they're rusty as all hell!!! They're trash. Can't believe they would ship something like that.

Haven't kept up on alloys. I think 1018 is considered the "standard"?

Thanks in advance.
                        Some PAF's have rusty Keepers
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I'm sorry you received rusty keeper bars. We can certainly replace them with new ones that are not rusty.

The manufacturer forgot to process this batch with oil to keep from rusting. Unfortunately we didn't catch it when we received them into stock because they looked fine initially.

They do and will rust because they are raw steel, but we've been selling them for years and never had them rust that bad or quickly before.

Anyway give us a call and we'll be glad to help.

Comment

It might be possible to tell the difference between 1010 and 1018 via a home "spark test" with a small grinder, even a dremel tool. You will probably need know samples to compare the sparks with. You should be able to test for lower carbon vs higher carbon with any two pieces of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                              It might be possible to tell the difference between 1010 and 1018 via a home "spark test" with a small grinder, even a dremel tool. You will probably need know samples to compare the sparks with. You should be able to test for lower carbon vs higher carbon with any two pieces of steel.
                              Interesting. I am not familiar with the spark test, but do you think that it might allow to tell a 0.1% (varies from 0.08% to 0.13%) from a 0.18% (varies from 0.15% to 0.2%) carbon content?
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X