Source for Quality Bucker Keeper Bars? 49.2mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    So, has anyone tonally tested the difference between a 1010, and a 1018 keeper bar?
    I would think tonally, the screw or slug metal content would be more critical.
    Since the screw or slug does go through the pickup coil?
    The biggest issue I had with keeper bars, are most were metric, and were thinner than the bar magnet, and didn't fit properly!
    T
    My question, was tonally can you tell the difference in a 1010, and a 1018 keeper, if all else is unchanged.
    Like 1018, pole screws, and slugs?
    I haven't tried it, but doubt you could tell a significant difference with a sound check?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Interesting. I am not familiar with the spark test, but do you think that it might allow to tell a 0.1% (varies from 0.08% to 0.13%) from a 0.18% (varies from 0.15% to 0.2%) carbon content?
      The spark test is when one grinds a bit of the material in a darkened rook, and inspects the resulting shower of sparks. One can tell quite a lot about the alloy by looking at those sparks. I don't know the German term for it, but it may be a more or less literal translation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing

I doubt that one can reliably tell 1010 from 1018 using a spark test. Or any test that any of us are likely to have the equipment to perform. There is an X-ray fluorescence instrument that gives the elemental analysis directly. Costs something like US $ 70 thousand.

As big_teee comments, it's unlikely one can tell them apart acoustically either. So, I don't think that ADFX was committing any sin by substituting 1010 for 1018, or vice versa. Their only sin was not being clear and consistent.

Comment

Thanks!

There is an X-ray fluorescence instrument that gives the elemental analysis directly.
        Yes, that's the method the lab used where we had the old Gibson magnets analyzed. IIRC the other method employed was optical plasma/vapour spectroscopy.

I never compared keepers, but can hear differences between 1010 and 1018 pole screws.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          I never compared keepers, but can hear differences between 1010 and 1018 pole screws.
          To be sure that the comparison is reliable, need to do a double-blind test, because we are all very good at fooling ourselves.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ll=1#post81088 Post #8.

Comment

To be sure that the comparison is reliable, need to do a double-blind test, because we are all very good at fooling ourselves.
            I know, problem is that I also reproducibly hear differences between pole screws of same alloy from different suppliers. I assume different levels of annealing.
            The differences between the screws also manifest in different frequency dependence of the PU's impedance/inductivity.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-13-2019, 07:48 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
            X