Eden WT800C Power Amp Module DC Offset issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eden WT800C Power Amp Module DC Offset issues

After re-populating the failed amp circuit with new xstrs, resitors (where needed) and diodes, electrolytic caps that would have taken a hit from such widespread failure, I finally had the module ready to power up. I first used my HP 6227B 0-25VDC Dual Tracking supply to check it out, and, after finding I had installed an MPS A42 backwards, I corrected that, and had a working amp, using an external -15V supply to apply the Unmute voltage to turn the muting FET’s Q1 & Q2 off.

When I moved it back into the chassis, I found I was unable to dial in the offset voltage to zero the output buss voltage to 0V. I was seeing -0.25V at the bases Q3/Q4 of the input stage. The other module (Left Ch) had -0.1V at the bases, and I was able to dial it to 0V on the output. After making measurements on the dual diff amp front end, I found this:

Q3 base -0.25V
    Q3 collector 77.4V
    Q3 emitter -0.86V
    Q5 base -0.25V
    Q5 collector 79.4V
    Q5 emitter -0.86V
    Q4 base -0.25V
    Q4 collector -77.4V
    Q4 emitter 0.35V
    Q6 base -0.25V
    Q6 collector -77.4V
    Q6 emitter 0.35V

If I shorted out R3 bias resistor for Q3/Q4, voltage at the bases of Q3/Q4 dropped to -50mV. I was wondering if I’m dealing with leakage from the JFET’s. I swapped the pair of them out, and the base voltage increased to -0.3V just to spite me. I pulled the 1M offset adj pot VR1, finding it ok. Its’ series resistors R14/R15 measured fine, as did the four 100k emitter resistors for the front end. I moved the module back out to power it externally, and played with the unmute voltage, finding the threshold for unmuting the JFET’s was about -7VDC. -15V was being applied to J1 Pin 2, then applied to D2/R7/R6, so I tried putting a 10V zener across C4. That seemed to change the base voltage, so, I moved the module back to the chassis, and tried that at nominal supply voltages. Made no difference. I had a 6.2V zener, and tried that, no difference, nor did an 8.2V zener.

So, I pulled the module back out, and removed the two JFET’s, just to see if I was dealing with some leakage from them. No difference, still had -0.3V at the bases of Q3/Q4.

Then, placing a 10k across R3 (39k), that dropped the base voltage to -80mV. I removed R3 and installed a 10k there, put the JFET’s back into place and put the module back into the chassis. The base voltage of Q3/Q4 settled to -100mV, the same as on the other module. That at least allowed me to adjust the DC offset for 0V on the output.

I just don’t see WHAT is causing the neg voltage at the bases. Is it from NOT having matched NPN’s & matched PNP’s for the front end? Even better, having both matched NPN’s/PNP’s and matching each other on a common substrate?

Earlier, after having found I had Q5 installed backwards, and correcting it, I ended up replacing both Q3/Q5, just in case that mistake caused issues, and also Q4/Q6, while looking for the cause of the negative base voltage.

I looked all over the PCB for any leftover issues from the total failure of all the semi's, less 3 signal diodes, but didn't find any additional surprises. It does at least adjust now for 0V on the output, bias works, and both modules behave the same. I didn't find any other issues in the chassis from the module failure.

The amp schematic is the PM500, last schematic in the file attached.

WT800C schematic.pdf
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence
Working...
X