Fixing Roland BR900-CD digital studio recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Roland BR900-CD digital studio recorder

I am struggling to fix older piece of audio equipment BR900-CD. I have disassembled it to replace a pot, and after reassembly it wont boot. After powering on you can see LCD animation, some LED light up and fade slowly (like power went off), and everything hangs - nothing works. Also LCD backlight works no more.

I have compared voltages on some ribbon connectors and before when it was still working voltages were slightly higher than now. For example: 3.60 -> 3.12, 4.56 -> 4.21, 8.24 -> 7.88.

Original input is 9V DC. It is converted down the road by voltage regulators to 5V and 3.3V.

Any clues what can cause that voltage drop ? Is it rather cause or the effect ? How could I go about to troubleshoot it ?

Unfortunatelly schematic is impossible to find.

Maybe the 3.12v is below the threshold voltage for the main CPU, but I'm just guessing. You could try contacting Roland for a schematic, or preferably the service manual. At the time it was manufactured there must have been some supporting documentation for their service centres.

Have you re-traced the steps you took when replacing the pot to make sure a connector isn't reversed or 1 pin out, or even if you have a solder bridge somewhere? All it needs is a tiny bead to bridge tracks and you've got a fault.

Before you replaced the pot did everything (apart from the pot) work correctly?

Comment

Usually.. old digital stuff from that era are plagued with failing surface mount electrolytic caps. Got an ESR meter?

Comment

Working...
      X