Fender Hotrod Deluxe 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m1989jmp View Post
    Well, I was under impression that footswitch power supply dropping resistors (R78 R79) create problems on new models too.
    It's true! As of HRD IV, same points of failure.

Fender Hot Rod series: Keeping Techs In Business!
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Well, I was under impression that footswitch power supply dropping resistors (R78 R79) create problems on new models too.

The only other issue I'm having is buzzing/whistling from areas as shown on the pictures. I've used some kind of a plastic tube to pinpoint the locations, and for sure the sound is loudest at these 2 locations. It's not super loud, but I'm wondering if it's a sign of failing filter caps, as I've read these IC caps tend to fail/leak too.

Thanks for the answers.
      I have no idea what picture you’re talking about but I can almost guarantee what you’re hearing is the ceramic caps that bypass the diodes. Everyone of these does that to some degree. It’s not a problem don’t worry about it. Unless its so loud The customer is complaining about it, There are so many other things that are important parts of maintenance for these amps.
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Well, I forgot to post the actual picture...

Click image for larger version

Name:	fhrd.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	854676

Actually I can't hear any sound coming from the ceramic snubber caps. The buzzing/whistling is heard from these two locations; main filter caps and area underneath SEND/RETURN jacks, but not ceramic caps.

It's in no way loud enough to be heard while playing, but I'm wondering if it's a sign of a near-failure.
        Last edited by m1989jmp; 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Filter caps making noise? That would worry me, and I'd replace them.
          --
          I build and repair guitar amps
          http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Well, I forgot to post the actual picture...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54919[/ATTACH]

Actually I can't hear any sound coming from the ceramic snubber caps. The buzzing/whistling is heard from these two locations; main filter caps and area underneath SEND/RETURN jacks, but not ceramic caps.
            yeah? okay.

Well in that case I'm with xtian on this one and would replace them, or check/reflow the solder joints under the board. Often this can crack and leave the leads floating in the joint. Mechanical noise from the power transformer could be causing them to vibrate.
            I haven't been able to document which era of amps suffer the most from this, but there seems to be a period where the Illinois filter caps used in these amps suffered from a terrible early failure rate. So, it certainly won't hurt replacing them.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
            X