Cutting AlNiCo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting AlNiCo

Some time ago I mentioned in a thread regarding the cutting of AlNiCo that I used a Dremel for this.
    Well I ordered a neat little machine from Micro Mark recently which I bought with AlNiCo in mind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	miter saw.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	859828

Yes it does look a little bit like a toy and yes it is low-powered but it cuts AlNiCo beautifully and works great for cutting pole shoes too and not a splash of diamond slurry anywhere.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Are you gonna try ceramic with that Spence and if so let us know the results.
    Do mine with a diamond tile saw but god is that messy.

Comment

I'll give that a go tomorrow. I would think ceramics will be easier.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I would think Ceramic would need something like a tile blade, ceramic is weird stuff, not metal but not glass. It may shatter with that wheel Spence.

Comment

hmmmm.......

I have the cheap Harbor Freight version, uses the same cutting discs, yes same underpowered motor etc. Have you tried cutting humbucker bars with it? In the past I've used the abrasive dremel wheels which are about the same to cut through buckers bars most of the way then break them and sand the break on my disc sander. The Harbor Freight ones are $25 I think on Ebay if you don't have an HB near you....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
            Are you gonna try ceramic with that Spence and if so let us know the results.
            Do mine with a diamond tile saw but god is that messy.
            LOL, he's eggin ya on!!. Ceramic....LOL

Comment

Matter of fact the harbor fright version is going on sale at the beginning of December for $19, that's when I'm getting mine. From what Spence is saying his Micro Mark came with an abrasive blade?

I'll bet proxxon has some cool little tool to do this too. They have a little weeny bandsaw that can take a diamond grit blade and water cooling system. You could cut your ceramics into a jigsaw puzzle.

here's the harbor freight dingus: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307
              Last edited by David King; 11-28-2007, 05:25 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

hb

The harbor freight one and the Micromark I think also, comes with a re-enforced cut off wheel and a metal one for plastics I guess. Micromark is probably better built since its made in Taiwan. I was cutting slugs with mine for awhile, a slow way to go....
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Hmmmm.... looks like a nice little toy. Can it cut plain steel bars? That would probably take forever.... I think I need to get a metal cutting bandsaw.

As a side note, in a pinch I've used a chisel on ceramic bar magnets. It's not the cleanest cutoff, but it works.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I didn't say it is a toy.
                    It'll piss through steel and is quick enough to cut alnico which is harder than steel.
                    Don't knock it till you've tried it.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                      I didn't say it is a toy.
                      It'll piss through steel and is quick enough to cut alnico which is harder than steel.
                      Don't knock it till you've tried it.
                      Oh I wasn't knocking it! I meant a nice little toy like a new table saw is nice new toy!

I get the Micromark catalogs... I hadn't seen that before.

I need that thing...
                      Last edited by David Schwab; 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

looks like it would be very handy for custom work. Spence, did you try those ceramics yet?

Micro Mark has some really cool shit.
                        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          Oh I wasn't knocking it! I meant a nice little toy like a new table saw is nice new toy!

I get the Micromark catalogs... I hadn't seen that before.

I need that thing...
                          Sorry I misunderstood you.

BTW, it's no good at all for ceramics.
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                            Sorry I misunderstood you.

BTW, it's no good at all for ceramics.

Comment

Horbor freights looks a wee bit on the really cheap side, and seems to have a safty hazzard too. Someone slashed themselves on this HF one before(possum?). Cool toy though....The Micro mark one looks really stable and safe

Comment

Working...
                              X