resistor wattage ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resistor wattage ID?

I'm not sure where to post this, but can some one here take a look at my resistors and tell if they are both 1/2 watt?
    I know the one on the left is 1/2 watt, but the one on the right is a little smaller, and has thinner leads. Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	resist.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	874905
    Vote like your future depends on it.

There's no way to know 100% without any other info. There are even mini resistors now that look much smaller than typical counterparts, but have the same wattage rating. That said, if you know that the one on the left is 1/2 watt, I'd be relatively certain that the one on the right is also. If in doubt, install it and monitor it for heat.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks dude. I don't rember buying any quarter watt resisters but the size had me worried
      Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Yeah, check out Vishay PR01 series. 2 watt resistors, tiny.
        The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
          Yeah, check out Vishay PR01 series. 2 watt resistors, tiny.
          I ordered a few values of the PR01 (02?) series 1W resistors. I have to keep them away from my bulk resistor assortment, because I'll confuse them for 1/4W! I feel dizzy whenever I thumb through them
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Yeah I ordered some of those 1 watt resistors too. I thought they accidentally put 1/4 watt in my order or something. Kinda makes you a bit nervous using them.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

With metal film and metal oxide resistors there can be confusion but those of carbon film (I refer to modern ones) usually maintain the proportions of physical volume and dissipation capacity.
              So, if one of them is half a watt, the other should be too. The different thickness of the pins does not indicate much by itself. There is a tendency in those of Asian origin to have them thinner.
              The 1-watt carbon film resistors from Tayda for example (very thin pins) should be used with caution regarding mechanical assembly. In certain applications I do not use them.

Comment

What bothers me about the little ones is that voltage rating usually is better with more surface area (edit: I mean length).
                So where a small part with a high wattage rating may be fine for SS equipment, it is often not as good in high voltage applications.
                Last edited by g1; 09-01-2019, 11:44 PM.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

voltage rating usually is better with more surface area.
                  I don't think that surface matters regarding voltage rating. Rather it would be materials and creepage/clearance distances. Always best to check manufacturers' datasheets.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I should have said length instead of surface area. More distance is always better for voltage withstand ratings, even in air.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I bought some of the Vishay PR01 series 82K and 100 K for driver plate resistors but was surprised at the small size so I've never used them.
                      Good thing, because they're only rated at 350V whereas the regular old carbon film types are 500V.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1567386302

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1567386302
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X