Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintaining Yamaha TX-816 tone modules (TF1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining Yamaha TX-816 tone modules (TF1)

First, let me say that Yamaha naming a new series of mixers with the same model name (TF1) as an older product warrants a big thumbs down from me. Makes Google searches for info on the older device all but impossible.

I have this TX816 (essentially a bunch of DX-7 FM synth modules in a rack unit). Got it off *bay a few years ago, and it's been an on-again/off-again studio tool since then. I'm going to replace the CR2032 battery in the one module that's giving the low batt error, and replace some bulging caps while I'm in. My reason for posting is this:

While powering up to verify that the thing still worked, I executed the 440Hz function on each module. All good, but some modules had different levels than others (by a dB or 2). There is a trim pot on the TF1 circuit board, but I'm not about to start willy-nilly adjusting things when I have no documentation. Does anyone have a manual for the TF1 module, or some service blurb on setting the analog output level? Mostly curiosity drives this question. But any help, scuttlebutt, or horror stories about the TX-816 will be appreciated.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

So just to bump this question (and dispense with the social formalities):

Anyone with experience on these TF1 modules (found in a TX816 rack)? Is there a procedure for adjusting the analog output volume? Thanks
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
    X