Coil Estimating JazzMaster Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Estimating JazzMaster Data

So I noticed that some people have screen shots of a coil estimator with Jazzmaster pickups. In the http://www.jdguitarworks.com/coil/coil.html estimator that isnt an option for Jazzmaster pickups. I don't know if it is bad luck, or my location but the http://www.salvarsan.org/pickups/Coil_Estimator.html coil estimator doesnt load for me. I tried using the search feature to get my answer before posting but didnt find anything. What coil estimator are people using here ( https://music-electronics-forum.com/...3&d=1566345758 ) to get this jazzmaster info? That was taken out this thread https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=49579

I tried using the online estimator from Ziegler pickups but I am pretty sure I entered something wrong because 3 million seems a bit excessive.

Sorry for all the links in this post. Just want to make sure I am giving as much info as possible
    Last edited by big_teee; 09-06-2019, 10:16 PM.

What coil estimator are people using here
    It's just my own personal library I concocted,
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 09-07-2019, 03:04 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

You built your own HTML file and just run it locally?

*Edit* I just found the old thread from 2012 where the ZIP file was posted. I will try downloading it when i am home and building my own library. Thank you!
      Last edited by MadTrapper; 09-05-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I started the library with passive bobbin data preservation in mind.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 09-07-2019, 03:03 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I figured there would be somebody working to preserve data like this. While I appreciate that aspect of it I was more interested in the calculator for calculating new ideas. Like taking a JM pickup and using 43awg plain enamel to build it more like a broadcaster pickup. So having a preloaded JM spec would have been nice. I ended up using the specs in one of the pics you posted and changing the wire and resistance to match what I was looking to do. I am probably looking at something in between the creamery's 88 jazzmaster mid range and their extra width models with the bridge around 11k and the neck around 10k and was curiously roughly how many winds I would need

Comment

You can do that with the regular estimator.
            Pull up the P-90 pickup, and modify the data to fit a JM.
            Change the wire size to 43, put the DCR you want and calculate it.
            When you get it to suit, take a screenshot for future reference.
            If you give me your data, I can run it and post it.
            T
            Terry

Comment

So if you are looking for a JM to sound like a Tele broadcaster?
              You would need taller magnets.
              Here is calculated data for a JM with taller magnets, .350, and .450 inch between the flats.
              Not sure there is room for the taller bobbins in a JM guitar, but maybe!
              Also shown is a stock tele broadcaster pickup, for comparison.
              T

**Disregard this data, if you are still using short magnets.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by big_teee; 09-07-2019, 02:44 AM.
              Terry

Comment

Thank you! that is actually what I did minus the screen shot to save it. It was right around where I expected it to me (my mental math was about 200 off the tight scatter). I am familiar enough with HTML I can probably customize my own estimator I can just run locally by copying the source from the jd guitar works estimator. When I made my original post I just thought there might be an estimator out there with a bigger library. I didnt get a chance to try to download the zip file of the salvarsan one last night so I will probably give it a shot this weekend when I am staying indoors avoiding the wind and rain that makes it up this way. Also have a bit of sanding and maybe painting to do on the jazzmaster.

Comment

Oh nice just saw your second post after I posted. Thank you! Very close to what I got but I may have mistakenly used 0.187 for the width instead of 0.172

Comment

Ok you had me second guessing how to use the calculator for a second. I definitely have Alnico 3 0.187 magnets for the bridge and Alnico 5 0.187 for the neck. This is what I got when I put it in the calculator using a P90. I was using the height of the space between the flatwork for the height not the magnet height. I am thinking now that was wrong?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	JMpickup.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	855470

Comment

That should work, but you won't get a broadcaster sound, without taller magnets between the flats.
                      GL,
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Oh sorry if i wasn't clear. I just mean winding it with 43awg plain enamel like a broadcaster not going for the sounds. Was I right about the height in the calculator being between the flats? That is also good to know that making it taller will give it more of a broadcaster sound. I guess that makes sense though since broadcaster pickups were taller

Comment

The JM was Fenders answer to the gibson P-90.
                          A overwound narrow bobbin pickup.
                          The main difference in the P-90 and a JM is the P-90 uses Screw poles, keeper bar, and 2 bar magnets on the bottom.
                          The JM uses rod magnets.
                          The bulk of the other Fender pickups use a tall bobbin concept.
                          That is why you get the bell ringing tone with a strat, tall low wound bobbins.
                          It is whatever tone you are going for, you wind accordingly.
                          GL,
                          T
                          Last edited by big_teee; 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

Let me try one more stab at something usable, to get more of the Nocaster tone, and still use shorter spacing.
                            I chose .25 inch magnet height, it should be easier to wind, and give more flexibility in tone.
                            This will work with the short .531 magnets, available.
                            I made the magnet bobbin width .190 inch to allow for taping.
                            I figured both 42, and 43 wire, versions.
                            Should work great.
                            This pickup with all the room on the bobbin, would give a lot of different options, and things you could try. Including larger wire size, like on a neck pickup.
                            I only did bridge pickups, I may try some neck data later.
                            That's all for now.
                            GL,
                            T
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by big_teee; 09-08-2019, 06:58 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

While doing the JM hypothetical?
                              Here's some possible neck data, that could be experimented with?
                              It took several edit stabs at it, but I think I have it now?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by big_teee; 09-08-2019, 07:31 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X