Low Volume 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Volume 5150

early model 5150 head..very low volume..sounds like about 5 watts output...not 120w. if i run it fx loop send into a different power amp , i have full volume. I found a screen resistor open on a power tube socket ---replaced it .

Swapped all tubes , cleaned sockets , cleaned fx loop jacks , all socket voltages / bias are there , poked and prodded , moved wires ...

heres 1 thing - the standby LED does not light up . Ive checked R 70 / 72 / 73 . I see that Q6 is right in the path of that Led. I do have 8vdc at 1 leg of the standby Led.

i remember reading that there might be a bad "muting" ? transistor that might cause this ? If the standby led is bad , can it kill signal ??

so for transistors on the pcb, we have Q6 / Q7 /Q3 and CR23

I know Ive read about this volume problem before , somewhere...... here is the scem and layout
    Attached Files

What is the voltage across the LED- not referenced to ground? Check the LED with your DVM. Do you have screen voltage at the output tube sockets?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

8.5 vdc

or -8.5 vdc reversing leads

yes all voltages are at sockets

Comment

If you have 8.5V across an LED and it's the correct polarity, the LED is open.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          If you have 8.5V across an LED and it's the correct polarity, the LED is open.
          ok--looking at the scem--could that cause my volume issue?

Comment

Check the Vac at the output tube grids (100Mv/ 1K input, all controls maxed)
            A 50 watt amp should be seeing about 50Vac at the grids. (double that for a 100W)

If you have that, then the OT is suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
              ok--looking at the scem--could that cause my volume issue?
              Nope, not if you have screen voltage. When screen voltage comes up (standby flipped), it turns on Q6 giving the LED a ground path. IMO, your volume issue is unrelated,....... again assuming you have screen voltage and you said you did.

Edit: You could also have cracked/cold solder on the LED, which is why I asked to test the LED with a DVM.
              Last edited by The Dude; 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Check the Vac at the output tube grids (100Mv/ 1K input, all controls maxed)
                A 50 watt amp should be seeing about 50Vac at the grids. (double that for a 100W)

If you have that, then the OT is suspect.
                so volt meter from pin4 to pin 5 (6l6 ) ac ?

Comment

The power tubes' grid signal voltage for full/max output is solely determined by the bias voltage (Vbias) - independent of number of tubes or rated output power.
                  E.g., with a bias of 40V, required grid signal voltage is Vbias x 0.707 = 28Vrms or 80Vpp. No difference between 50W or 100W versions as long as bias is the same.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

power tubes-
                    plates are 476vdc
                    pin 4 476 vdc
                    pin 5 -54 vdc

from pin 4 to 5 i have 0 vac

both channels have low volume and all controls function normal
                    Last edited by Valvehead; 09-06-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Oh, the infamous 5150 volume drop. Check the ribbon cable attaching the power tube board to the main board.

Comment

Originally posted by DFuller View Post
                        Oh, the infamous 5150 volume drop. Check the ribbon cable attaching the power tube board to the main board.
                        Checked , cable is good , checked continuity

Comment

pulled the main pcb--looks great--all joints ok , pulled the riveted in power tube pcb---all ok there .

pulled all ribbon cables -- they look good and test good

tested the OT primary , i have 28 / 60 / 32 ohms , and no shorts to the secondary

I have bias and all normal voltages at all tube sockets

speaker jacks are good , as is the imp. switch ........cleaned all jacks , pots

could the OT be on its death bed ?? I just cant find anything wrong

Comment

EDIT: Actually, a thought. These amps have Flyback prevention diodes. I wonder if they've gone conductive?

Comment

Easy enough to check. But usually if those fail, it blows fuses.

So did you ever remove Q7? That is my main go-to for this symptom.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X