Decibel Meters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decibel Meters?

Anyone have any experience with DB meters, to regulate a bands volume?
    Some are quite cheap on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=decibel+m...f=nb_sb_noss_2
    This might work for picky clubs?
    I wonder what a reasonable db level would be, say at the first table in front of the 4 piece band.
    Drum kit, 5 string bass, 2 loud electric guitars, Micd PA with a pair of 15s on stands?
    Thanks,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Just the old Radio Shack cheapie special. All I remember, it had A and C weighting (A for Annoying ) and a sort of averaging function. Bands I worked for often exceeded 110 dB. Even with the PA off! Rooms generally were so small, there was not much point in trying to position beyond the "critical distance." Audience was in the room, with the band, and might as well have been on stage because the echo in the room kept the volume up even if you tried to move away.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

No experience here, but I do know that sound level meter apps are available for as little as free.
      Assuming you use a smart phone, that would be one less thing to carry around.
      NIOSH has a freebie meter app, but only for iOS.
      https://www.google.com/search?q=deci...hrome&ie=UTF-8

-rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I want a DB Meter, that says ?

1. Damn that;s Loud!
        2. 747 territory!
        3. Turn that SOB Down!
        4. Get a howitzer, it's quieter!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I want a DB Meter, that says ?

1. Damn that;s Loud!
          2. 747 territory!
          3. Turn that SOB Down!
          4. Get a howitzer, it's quieter!
          T
          Doesn't your XYL do that for you?

nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I'm sure you guys have more adjectives for a Night Club band, that is too damn loud?
            If you sit next to someone, and they can't hear you, when you yell?
            It might be too damn loud?
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I'm sure you guys have more adjectives for a band that is too damn loud?
              If you sit next to someone, and they can't hear you, when you yell?
              It might be too damn loud?
              T
              What was that saying that used to be popular
              If it's too loud your too old
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                No experience here, but I do know that sound level meter apps are available for as little as free.
                Assuming you use a smart phone, that would be one less thing to carry around.
                NIOSH has a freebie meter app, but only for iOS.
                https://www.google.com/search?q=deci...hrome&ie=UTF-8

-rb
                I'll second that one. There are some decent dB meter apps- certainly not as accurate as a real properly calibrated/dedicated dB meter, but close enough for your purpose. You're not doing lab experiments.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

They make mics you plug in the headphone jack on andriod phones. Also parts express sells db meter for $22- $40.

Comment

I don't own a smart phone.
                    Terry

Comment

Don't take this wrong T, but that surprises me. Far be it for me to talk to someone about not owning a smart phone. I fought having a cell phone of any kind with every fiber of my being, until I started traveling more and had to get one. The surprise is that a Linux guru such as yourself hasn't yet made the leap.

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Sound-Decibel-Meter-Pressure-Noise-Level-Tester-Measurement-30-130dB/252814207349?hash=item3adce6a975:gWMAAOSwCtJaVGEz

No experience with this unit, but if you're looking for low cost,.......

Comment

I was in a 'Vintage Rock/ Blues band for about 10 years.
                          As a band we had total control of the band volume.
                          Can you say "Dynamics".
                          At the drop of the lead guitarists arm we could take the mix down into the basement.

I don't go out to see bar bands anymore because they have no control whatsoever.
                          I don't need to be assaulted by music.
                          It's a shame because we have some good guitar players around here.

"If you sit next to someone, and they can't hear you, when you yell?
                          It might be too damn loud?"
                          We had a saying that if you looked out at the crowd and two people where screaming to each other to converse, then the mix is way too loud.

Comment

A 42 year comm tech. I did all the pagers, cell phones, laptops, tool boxes, etc.
                            I'm retired for past 9 years, live in the middle of the woods, and don't need one.
                            I do carry a flip phone, in case of emergencies.
                            I don't do facebook either.
                            I do like my laptops, and linux.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

I thought I was the last person on the planet to get a smart phone. They are good for travel - I use it more as a GPS than as a phone.

-rb
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X