Elliott Smith's vox's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elliott Smith's vox's

Hi- anyone like me an amp nut + elliott smith nut too?

Listening to a big YT mix, from another nut, I've rarely heard such a consistantly-excellent guitar amp sound from any band/ solo musician, throughout their recordings, & I've only recently discovered he used an ac30. I'd long assumed a very well-tuned fender (as alot of his recorded stuff is cleaner rather than distorted) eg in crystal-like clean mode, with stunning touch-sensitivity, & lovely odd tremolo thrown in too. To find out its been an ac30 after so many years listening.. well I was very interested.

Does anyone know what incantation of ac30 he used, or, can anyone identify which type seen here (3x of so obviously ES a total vox nut) in this Fuji show? I'm not sure whether he'd haul 3x prized 60's ones way over to Japan (especially if Korg reissue types were MIJ & presumably many in rental-places he could've used for this show) being the troubled slacker he was, but, the sound from these is as good as those recorded ones.. if not the very ones he owned/ used extensively for many years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_um_VAmxXw

A bit of a finickity amp nerding Q really. Sea Chief

Hmm, not sure of the Vox amps, but I know that he used a Tophat also, can’t remember the model. Used to see Elliot play with Heatmiser, cool times for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by garytube View Post
      Hmm, not sure of the Vox amps, but I know that he used a Tophat also, can’t remember the model. Used to see Elliot play with Heatmiser, cool times for sure.
      Hi there- actually I did some own research on these amps he used on this ^ show/ just general rental jobs in fact.. & yes read about these tophat named amps he used maybe on XO & Fig8.. & their site.. well the clips blow your socks off, I mean how could you improve on a 64 vox? seems like these actually do just that.

Cool you saw him albeit the noisy stuff: I went to so many gigs early-mid 90's US bands in UK & he'd have just been starting out maybe the odd show or even a bit early this heyday ~'93 ish period, for his best stuff.. but him along with the smiths (coincidental names) in retrospect are the two I'd killed to have seen myself. just him tho, heatmiser probably fun.. but his solo stuff is something special. Glad I just saw the fall in a great period before MESmith (..) got doddery.. or they'd have been 3 smith types on my list!

Comment

Working...
      X