Holy Cow, we have a winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cow, we have a winner!

A customer is dropping $1,300 to re-tube a limited edition Ampeg SVT with all NOS American made tubes. That's on top of the $300 to recap and service it. In all my years of doing this, that's the winner.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I had a customer who early this year imported 4x6L6 NOS RCA black plate tubes from the USA. Glad he bought them - after just two weeks one shorted out and another became microphonic. Replaced with a quartet of Russian tubes and no further problems. Over here there are very few companies that guarantee new-manufacture tubes beyond 90 days, and most of the NOS people will grind you into the ground if you try to claim for a defective tube so the guarantee is worthless.

Does the customer realize that a tube is a fancy light bulb that's a lottery-draw whether it works or not every time you turn on the amp? That's a lot of money to spend on tubes. Just don't end up trapped in the middle if there's a warranty issue.

Comment

In certain cases like this, I insist the customer buy tubes and bring them to me to avoid just that.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

That's the way to go.

Comment

I can almost justify NOS preamp tubes in that, they have the potential to last for years and years. Having said that, I’ve had so many of my own vintage tubes, ones that sounded great, end up going microphonic and useless ( save perhaps as an oscillator).
          But unless I needed a really high voltage spec tube, or some other specially purpose, I just can’t see the cost/risk value in NOS output tubes - particularly the ones we almost always need.
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

That's crazy and nearing the cost of the value of the amp. I certainly wouldn't do it, but I don't have the money to burn.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
            X