Capacitor across power transformer primaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor across power transformer primaries

Hi folks, I'm working on an older Peavey Deuce. It's got a three-way power switch with a "death cap" switched in from ground to hot or neutral, depending on which way it's switched. It also has another cap, same value, always connected between hot and neutral. Here's a different Peavey schematic, but the setup is the same.

I'm removing the cap C2 to ground, but wondering if it's also advisable to remove or leave the cap C1 between hot and neutral? What's it do, and does it create any safety concerns?

Thanks!
    Matt

It's probably a bid to diminish AC line noise which may show up in the amp signal as noise. Like when my neighbor uses their blender, I can hear a faint "whizzzzz" showing up in some of my amps. I don't see any safety concerns. If the cap eventually shorts, should pop the fuse.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

DVL type was specifically called for in that position due to safety concerns (due to failure mode of non DVL caps in line to ground and line to neutral applications).
      Now they use type Y for line to ground and X for line to neutral, and both are safety approved for that application.
      I'm not sure I would worry about a DVL cap there, for same reasons as Leo mentioned.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No reason at all to remove that crosswise cap.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X