Ampeg Jet Weird Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    So, just to screw around... First I tried lifting the leg of the .01/47k that was going into the input grid. My trem died conpletely & the overall volume of the amp went up & it was clearer. If I never used trem I'd say it makes it a kickass little rawk recording amp. But, I like trem, so...

I put it back & lifted the leg of that .1/470k. The trem came back and a bit stronger than with it in place, AND the amp is clearer with more pleasant highs. It's like the tone control is more useful & I'm not wishing it "went to 13 instead of 12." So I'm going to just gank that .1 so there are no loose ends floating about & play the amp a while. May slow down the trem a bit with the usual cap change.

It's not "swampy" yet, but definitely more pleasing than it was. And a lesson in why you shouldn't change a useful circuit just because you can and then sell it in a commercial amp!

Justin
    Which is just what I might have expected, but we weren't allowed to say
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Smartass!

Jusrin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Now I'll just play it til it blows up.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Justin, I could let you borrow a couple of 6BK11's out of my Jet if it would help you sort things out, at least rule out tube faults or not. On one condition.... explain the Justin/Jusrin thing!
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
            Justin, I could let you borrow a couple of 6BK11's out of my Jet if it would help you sort things out, at least rule out tube faults or not. On one condition.... explain the Justin/Jusrin thing!
            I still search weekly for 6BK11's on ebay and craigslist and struggle to even fine used "as-is" tubes. I think I have purchased six over the last five years with only one being a good tube that is not microphonic. It would be great to have a couple as a backup, but I would totally settle for two good ones that I can ride out for the next 10 - 30+ years for my Jet.
            My Builds:
            5E3 Deluxe Build
            5F1 Champ Build
            6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Randall, but I'm just gonna let this one be. But I'll explain Jusrin:

Jusrin is my smartass/dumbass persona who is usually contributing nothing more of value than a joke, or just made a colossal derpy mistake. Some members have made up separate accounts for similar shenanigas, but as that is considered bad form in fora, I just chsnged the way I signed my name

Justin (not Jusrin)

Comment

Ouch... I've never bought anything off eBay, but in your case it sounds like it's nit been entirely worth it... Since I've already pulled the excess wiring for the internal shields anyway in mine, I don't think I'd want to go back to 6BKs. It's messy enough in there without running more wires again...

Justin

Comment

Working...
                X