Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Cube 100 Bass pot replacement type

Hi there

I'm replacing a few pots on a used and abused Roland Cube 100 bass amp.

They are all 10k Alps pots, the RK09L series I think, the small, surface mount green ones. Heres a link to very similar pots on eBay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taiwan-Al...0a44%7Ciid%3A1

I'm relatively happy buying these as they are more or less equivalent, but the originals have an odd code on them and I'm not sure if it needs to be understood, I wondered if anyone here recognised it.

The 2 fx control knobs and compression knob is labelled 10 3B 70 1C

And the EQ knobs are labelled 10 3B 65 1C

Does anyone know the difference? As far as I'm aware the 10 is the value, the 1C is the taper. I'm mostly interested in what the 65 / 70 means with these pots and wether it would make a difference at all if I just put in the 10K alpha pots above (which have the same form).

Also, is alpha and alps the same/connected company for different regions?

Do you have and can you upload a schematic? Are you sure the fx control devices aren't rotary encoders and not pots?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Well, what'da know. Here's a page with a service manual download and instructions for replacing the pots!

https://www.tekyinblack.com/music/ro...0-bass-repair/

Comment

Thanks for the reply! From other service reports I've found online, and from testing the 'pots' I removed they do indeed appear to be 10k pots. I know its an unknown area and no audio actually goes through these components but to the best of my knowledge these are pots providing voltage messages to the more digital assemblies on the other boards...

Heres a service manual I have anyway, I think page 22/23, top right, shows the pots in question and I THINK they are all normal pots, though the schematic doesn't give many details..

roland_cube-100-bass_sch.pdf

Comment

Yeah I saw that! And yeah, it answered most of my main questions!! I just wanted to confirm though, that, although they are all 10k pots, the code (especially the 65 on EQ pots and 70 on other pots) wasn't a significant feature as in that guide s/he only worked on the bass and volume controls, whereas I have the two fx knobs as well which have the 70 in their code rather than the 65. Not sure what that means or whether it has ANY significance at all!

Comment

The service manual on the linked page I posted says VR 1-9 are all the same pots- RK09L1140C1T 10KB.

Edit: Also, consider updating your profile with a location. It's hard for any of us to recommend a source for parts if we don't know where you are.

Comment

Cool, thanks so much for your time! I had the same service manual but didn't trust my interpretation of it enough to override the different codes I saw on the parts I removed. I'll update my profile, though in this case I have my parts source sorted, I just needed to know that I wasn't ordering the wrong part

Comment

The only thing I noticed is that the pics in my link show a D shaft pot. Your eBay link does not. They are round. Your existing knobs will not fit. I'm not sure if this helps, but Mouser has a closer match here, although the shafts may need to be cut down. You'll have to measure to see.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...1jeStNVZNOE%3D

Comment

Cool thanks, I ended up getting the longer D shaft ones from RS online (free delivery and no handling charge for small orders!), thank for your help!

Comment

Working...
                  X