Another late generatoin Fender combo amp with molded spkr plug issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another late generatoin Fender combo amp with molded spkr plug issues

After having serviced this relatively new Fender Princeton Reverb just last month, where the Reverb wasn't responding, and after eliminating the tiny crimp connectors that plug on to the tank's xfmr pins, still wasn't getting reverb until unplugging the rear panel right angle RCA cables. After re-connecting them, all was fine again, and I wasn't able to make the Reverb go away. Been down that road before. Came back in Friday, and just got to it yesterday. Couldn't make the reverb stop, but, I was able to make the output intermittent by pushing on the molded right angle speaker plug.

I was out of new right angle Switchcraft or Neutrik phone plugs, so I had to wait until this morning to stop by Pacific Radio in Burbank, two blocks away and fetch right angle RCA plugs (Switchcraft 3502RA) and had to settle for the Neutrik right angle phone plug, not able to find any of the Switchcraft types. That cured it.

I've had this continual problem with Fender's wonderful bargain spkr cable assemblies they put on their otherwise fine combo amps. Wish they'd get something that worked in that spot!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Same reason they still use IC caps, they're cheap.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
      I was out of new right angle Switchcraft or Neutrik phone plugs, so I had to wait until this morning to stop by Pacific Radio in Burbank, two blocks away and fetch right angle RCA plugs (Switchcraft 3502RA) and had to settle for the Neutrik right angle phone plug, not able to find any of the Switchcraft types. That cured it.

I've had this continual problem with Fender's wonderful bargain spkr cable assemblies they put on their otherwise fine combo amps. Wish they'd get something that worked in that spot!
      Those %$#@ RCA plugs - and I refuse to pay big bucks for Sw or NT replacements - they don't fit so well either, so aggravating given the prices... Cheap as possible ol' fashioned solder-on RCA's like Fender used to use before they surrendered to laziness, that's for me. Works every time, and so cheap I can buy 100 when it comes time to restock.

For the speaker plug, a straight-in Swcr 280 for those amps that have jacks on the bottom panel, 228's for angle plugs on the back. I used to use 226 but too many people ran into trouble because they stick out just that little bit.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

You still have Radio Shack?!?
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

The older RCA cables that came with stereos back in the 70's, 80's 90's etc. seem to work really well.

Plus I have a ton of them lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
            The older RCA cables that came with stereos back in the 70's, 80's 90's etc. seem to work really well.

Plus I have a ton of them lying around.
            I looked at the fit of other molded Stereo RCA cables I have on hand, and they stick out too far. I'm none to fond of the old RCA connectors we used to see Fender using decades ago on their foot pedals. I do have those on hand, but, for rental stock, I went with the Switchcraft 3502RA right angle connectors. They were $3.13 ea down the street, and is on par with what one would expect to find on a good amp. Company is paying for it, reliability essential for rental gear.

I was looking for the Switchcraft 226 Right Angle Phone plug, but didn't find them before coming upon the Neutrik part, which was $4.83. When I saw the going rate on the Switchcraft 226, my mouth dropped open. $7.80!???! Ya gotta be kidding!
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
              When I saw the going rate on the Switchcraft 226, my mouth dropped open. $7.80!???! Ya gotta be kidding!
              226's a heckuva lot cheaper - helps to buy quantity of course - at CE and Conquest. Buying onesies at Pacific, never a bargain. Neutrik angle plugs - the only ones I've seen are the size of a hammer. Just about as tough too, but geeze, the size, and the weight, impressive! Maybe there's a "mini" size, I haven't seen it yet.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
              X