Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall, what were you thinking shiipping a transformer like this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall, what were you thinking shiipping a transformer like this???

It's probably a good thing my boss he wanted to deal with Marshall, and didn't let me call Marshall service today after receiving this transformer.
    Some brief context... I customer bought a used Purple Vintage/Modern Marshall combo recently. What he didn't know was that particular amp was fitted with a 240V mains transformer and didn't have option for both import and export wiring. So he opted for us to order and install a replacement.
    So, transformer arrived with some other packages earlier today. When I was ready, I got the amp up on my bench, and went to grab the transformer so I could start the job. When went over, I noticed the outside of the box was in terrible shape, and as I picked it up I felt the transformer sliding around in the box. I paused and thought "Did someone actually just ship a mains transformer just loose in and thin cardboard box?"
    At this point I thought we had purchased the transformer from an aftermarket vendor who had no idea what they were doing. But I couldn't believe it when I found out this was shipped right from marshall's own inventory! This is arguably 1 of the two biggest manufacturers in musical amplifiers going on the last 70 years, and I can't even fathom an amateur with the most basic shred of competence shipping some thing like this. I was hoping for at least some bubble wrap or heavy paper to surround the transformer when I opened the box, but there was nothing. I mean this took so much damage in the shipping. The terminals and molded assembly are an absolute mess, and the corners of the steel lamination have been chipped or dented in with a edge damaged.
    Look at this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshall_Transformer_Shipping_Package.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	875959

Name:	Marshall_Transformer_Lead_Terminal_Damage-1.jpg
Size:	939.6 KB
ID:	875960

Name:	Marshall_Transformer_Lead_Terminal_Damage-2.jpg
Size:	1,016.7 KB
ID:	875961

Name:	Marshall_Transformer_Lamination_Damage-1.jpg
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	875962

Name:	Marshall_Transformer_Lamination_Damage-2.jpg
Size:	931.4 KB
ID:	875963
    Last edited by big_teee; 09-19-2019, 01:40 PM.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Ouch!!!
    Post/Mail/Freight/Courier/whatever are *animals* ; no doubt about that, but it does not excuse Marshall, who should know about it (and which obviously does, given the zillion shippings they do per Month) from properly packing stuff.

Hey, even EBayers usually ship stuff in a way safer way.
    Last edited by J M Fahey; 09-19-2019, 06:16 AM.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Quality is down in many areas, and it won't get better I fear.

I remember several years back buying new aluminum rims from my classic car. The center cap screws they sent with the rims were the wrong size, or the holes were drilled incorrectly in the rims themselves. Either way, I was left without caps just prior to going to a car show / drag meet. Thank goodness I wasn't actually showing my car, but the car still looked like crap for the ride there, and in the parking lot with no center caps on the new wheels. This took the joy out of the new wheels entirely, but I had a good time that day despite all.

But here's the kicker, when I called the wheel manufacturer on Monday to complain, the guy at the rim company asked me to calm down "they're just rims" he said ! Yes indeed, the ones your company sold me, the rims you sell as the main function of your business, and the ones that were (all four of them) defective ! I guess he didn't get why I would possibly be so angry... Sounds like something from the twilight zone, or a Bizzaro World comic, but this type of product defect and clueless lack of customer service is on the increase it seems. I now have at best a 75% expectation these days for getting anything that's made correctly, or will be received as specified without issues.

Back to Electronics, just got a DC to DC Bucking convertor, and I was excited about being able to control the DC output voltage of the 14.4v battery pack for my pedal board (bringing the DC back to around 9V), and guess what ? Lasted all but one week. Cheap Junk. I bought two of them, and let's see how long this one goes before it craps out. Supposed to handle 3A but I'm putting a tiny 200ma through it and well within the top 40v rating, so it barely gets warm, but the first one stopped working cold. Just junk. Why would I expect it not to be ?
      " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

The transformers I've had from the Marshall factory over the past few years have been ingeniously packaged to prevent damage even under pretty severe conditions. Apart from a stout outer carton, there are two deep cardboard clams that have cutouts that carry a flexible membrane. The material is stretchy, but not too elastic and is puncture-resistant. One clam goes in the box, the transformer is placed in the middle of the membrane then the other clam placed on top. When the box is taped up with their reinforced tape the two clams hold the transformer in a shock-proof suspension. I've had some pretty heavy transformers sent like this.

Comment

Yes, thatīs the way to do it.

I am amazed at this one though.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I don't think they made transformers, but they received transformers from one of their suppliers. I.m pretty sure no one supplier ship to Marshall transformers like that but pretty much well packed as units. So one question run through my mind. For what the heck to take the tranny off from original packaging who comes from China, India or whatever, and to send it into a ordinary cardboard envelope ? Maybe the original pack contains printed infos which Marshall factory don't want to share, so they preferred to take the tranny off the pack and shipping alone, but surprise they are not able to put it into a new proper envelope, cause they don't use ....to use
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

That one is labelled Dagnall so itīs presumably British made.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Wow!
                It took a real dweeb to ship that transformer that way.
                And then they will blame the carrier.

On a side note: I talked to a UPS rep one day and he said that UPS does not have a 'fragile' policy.
                He stated that a package should be packed that the inner contents can survive if the carton is dropped from a 5 foot level.
                Why?
                That is the height of there conveyor system.
                If the carton falls off, that is how far it will drop.

Comment

Did you check if it is working? Just wondering if there could have been a mix-up and you got shipped something that was actually a defective return or something like that? (although I'd be surprised if they wanted defective TX's returned as shipping would be prohibitive)
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                    I don't think they made transformers, but they received transformers from one of their suppliers. I.m pretty sure no one supplier ship to Marshall transformers like that but pretty much well packed as units. So one question run through my mind. For what the heck to take the tranny off from original packaging who comes from China, India or whatever, and to send it into a ordinary cardboard envelope ? Maybe the original pack contains printed infos which Marshall factory don't want to share, so they preferred to take the tranny off the pack and shipping alone, but surprise they are not able to put it into a new proper envelope, cause they don't use ....to use
                    Of course Marshall receives their transformers in qty, all well packed, on wooden pallets, sturdily boxed, with separations inside to keep all safe from damage. But what you received from some idiot on Marshall's payroll.......was most certainly NOT supervised by any of their intelligent staff to allow THAT package to escape their factory. Somebody back there needs to know what you received!
                    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                      what you received from some idiot on Marshall's payroll.......was most certainly NOT supervised by any of their intelligent staff to allow THAT package to escape their factory. Somebody back there needs to know what you received!
                      Not the first time this sort of thing has happened. I was commiserating a long time ago - @ 25 years - with the owner of a parts outfit who had just received a big box full of transformers from Marshall. All heaved into the box without a thought as to their arriving in good shape. So there they were after their trip across the ocean & continent, scratched, dented, wires pulled out and their new owner wondering "how the devil am I supposed to sell these as new?" I feel lucky I haven't ever had the need nor opportunity to buy iron direct from Marshall. After hearing these tales of woe, I feel fortunate to have chosen competent US made substitutes whenever possible. As long as the part works as it should, there's no special charm to be found by having it shipped in from the UK. Just extra expense & possibly disappointment.
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

The has happened to me on more than one occasion, although not from Marshall.

I have noticed that most packages nowadays arrive in an oversized large single walled box with perhaps a couple of large air cushions or a few bits of loose brown paper for 'protection'. The contents are free to fall around and there is next to no real protection. It seems that some bean counter has worked out that it's cheaper to keep the weight and materials and thus shipping costs to a minimum and accept the occasional damage claim. The policy just doesn't work when it come to heavy and very expensive items. Also customer aggravation is not a line item on their spreadsheets. Only when the realize that can improve the bottom line will they make make any changes.
                        Last edited by nickb; 09-19-2019, 10:48 PM.
                        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I bought a pair of Electrovoice EVM-10s on ebay. When they arrived, both needed to be re-coned because they had rubbed together. Judging from the condition of the package and conversations with the seller, the only explanation that made any sense was that Home Land Security had opened and inspected the package, had cut several tie raps holding the speakers face to face and had re-sealed the package. If the tie raps had simply broken, the pieces would have been in the package.
                          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Probably Homeland Insecurity was hoping to find little bags of whitish powder between face to face tied speakers.

They werenīt sure about what X Ray screens showed because they could not focus well, and they were still shaking, the stuff they intercepted 2 hours earlier was VERY GOOD stuff and they hadnīt fully recovered yet.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Probably Homeland Insecurity was hoping to find little bags of whitish powder between face to face tied speakers.

They werenīt sure about what X Ray screens showed because they could not focus well, and they were still shaking, the stuff they intercepted 2 hours earlier was VERY GOOD stuff and they hadnīt fully recovered yet.
                              How else are you supposed to get that used vintage look?
                              nosaj
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X