Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Crate gx-15r - A buzz together with clean sound

  1. #1
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0

    Crate gx-15r - A buzz together with clean sound

    Hello everyone
    Needing help with my Crate gx-15r. It is s making a small buzz together with the clean sound, like a small fuzz. I love the clean sound of this amp, but now it is making me crazy, I have clean all the pots and the circuit board with alcohol isopropyl and also with a cleaner spray for contacts. Could anyone help me with this. Thanks in advance, and there's maybe some mistakes on my english write, sorry about that
    Luis Medeiros

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifetime Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    32,461
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,015/7
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    55
    Is this a noise that ONLY occurs when you play notes? Or does it sit there making this hum all the time it is turned on?

    If it only occurs while playing, then it suggests a speaker with a rubbing voice coil. Also possible are a cabinet buzz - something is loose and rattles.

    If the buzz is more a hum - sounds like when you touch your guitar cord - then it is electrical. Could be as simple as a loose ground, or could be a problem with the power supply, like a failed filter cap.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    318
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 124/11
    Given: 40/0
    Rep Power
    7
    If the amp has also a distorted channel always running and just switched out,it can be radiated on top of the clean,in general it should be grounded at some point.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Is this a noise that ONLY occurs when you play notes? Or does it sit there making this hum all the time it is turned on?

    If it only occurs while playing, then it suggests a speaker with a rubbing voice coil. Also possible are a cabinet buzz - something is loose and rattles.

    If the buzz is more a hum - sounds like when you touch your guitar cord - then it is electrical. Could be as simple as a loose ground, or could be a problem with the power supply, like a failed filter cap.
    Hi thanks for your interest and support, the buzz happens only when playing, I ve try allready connected to another speaker wlth the same bad result. The sound seems like I had together the distrocion sound connected in a very low volume. When I don't play even with the guitar connected it doesn't make any open audible noise. Guitar is an used cheap ibanez gio

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Is this a noise that ONLY occurs when you play notes? Or does it sit there making this hum all the time it is turned on?

    If it only occurs while playing, then it suggests a speaker with a rubbing voice coil. Also possible are a cabinet buzz - something is loose and rattles.

    If the buzz is more a hum - sounds like when you touch your guitar cord - then it is electrical. Could be as simple as a loose ground, or could be a problem with the power supply, like a failed filter cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexradium View Post
    If the amp has also a distorted channel always running and just switched out,it can be radiated on top of the clean,in general it should be grounded at some point.
    Hi thanks, it could be, do you know how I can found that source of distortion, that "shunt" and grounded properly or mute it, even I have to neutralize the distorced channel since I don't use it anyway. Hope you can help
    Luis Medeiros

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Old Timer J M Fahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    11,753
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,884/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Rep Power
    27
    If somebody posts the schematic I might find a way to add some extra muting to dirty channel when "Off".

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Juan Manuel Fahey

  7. #7
    Stray Cap DrGonz78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 364/5
    Given: 262/0
    Rep Power
    11

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

  8. #8
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Sir I found the schematic going below thanks for your help

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0

    Schematic Crate GX-15R

    Quote Originally Posted by Medeiros View Post
    Sir I found the schematic going below thanks for your help
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...64-24701c4.pdf

    posted by The Dude


    http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/5546d1245133564-24701c4.pdf

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Medeiros; 09-23-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Complete the link of schematic

  10. #10
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks Dr.Gonz78

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Medeiros View Post
    Sir I found the schematic going below thanks for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    [QUOTE=Medeiros;539758]http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...64-24701c4.pdf

    posted by The Dude


    http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...64-24701c4.pdf

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you sir

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Old Timer J M Fahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    11,753
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,884/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Rep Power
    27
    Just checked the schematic.

    Sadly,in this quite simplified amplifier, switching is not electronic (Fets or transistors) but the simplest mechanical, a plain push switch, thatīs why this amp does not have a footswitch.

    I suggest you set P1: "Gain" to 0, do you still have the background buzz?
    Because in that position IC1 pins 7 to 6 gets shorted and that Op Amp section gets fully muted.

    Try it and post results.

    If not enough, I can suggest a more drastic lobotomy which mutes it even more, requires desoldering a couple components and you should add a small switch at front or back panel to enable/disable it.

    But letīs try the above suggestion first.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Juan Manuel Fahey

  14. #14
    Twobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Just checked the schematic.

    Sadly,in this quite simplified amplifier, switching is not electronic (Fets or transistors) but the simplest mechanical, a plain push switch, thatīs why this amp does not have a footswitch.

    I suggest you set P1: "Gain" to 0, do you still have the background buzz?
    Because in that position IC1 pins 7 to 6 gets shorted and that Op Amp section gets fully muted.

    Try it and post results.

    If not enough, I can suggest a more drastic lobotomy which mutes it even more, requires desoldering a couple components and you should add a small switch at front or back panel to enable/disable it.

    But letīs try the above suggestion first.
    Step one without mutilating
    Results, I turn gain and level to zero.
    No it sounds good, I thought I've try it before, but of course not,... So sir I really appreciate your help, and all the others advises and detailed lessons from you and the others in this forum thread . Late night I'll be practicing my very very hard Hey bi Jimi, clean loud with reverb. Wish you all the best

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. horrible buzz/noise/hum on a crate gx15
    By Andres in forum Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2019, 01:50 AM
  2. Crate FXt65 cuts out on clean channel only
    By groovyfingers in forum Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 04:17 AM
  3. TSL Clean Channel Buzz
    By PaoloJM in forum Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM
  4. 5e3 Clean Sound
    By BluesDude in forum Tweed Builders
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
  5. Crate Glx212 Buzz
    By MickeyB in forum Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •