Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Output on 2nd channel of My Silvertone1484 All Of The Sudden???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Output on 2nd channel of My Silvertone1484 All Of The Sudden???

I have a silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve head full upgraded OT that the reverb was always shit on and the tremolo died in me a couple years ago but it still sounds great. I have had the caps changed. Anyway the other night I’m playing through it like normal and when I’m done I turn it off and everything is fine but the next day when I go to use it no output from the 2nd channel. The output is still
    Fine on the 1st channel but the 2nd all you get is some slight humming when you turn it up. Anyway might know what the problem could be with it? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Reverb on these was never a prize winner. Well, booby prize maybe. Just awful, if they work at all.

About your channel going dead, I'd suggest first take a look at the preamp tubes - if any covers on them, take 'em off - observe under dark conditions and see whether two orange filaments can be seen glowing in each 12AX7 pre tube. Sometimes a filament dies for no particular reason, then it's just a matter of swap in a fresh tube and you're good to go.

Corrosion on tube pins can also stop the party. Once all filaments are confirmed working, pull each 12AX7, one at a time, if the pins are cruddy clean 'em up & reinstall. I use a strip of 600 grit sandpaper, others recommend "crocus cloth" or a small wire brush. Whatever means, knock off the corrosion, reinstall the tubes & see if you have sound. If these methods bring no joy, swapping in a fresh pre tube for the afflicted channel is next. After that we have to "go deep" or get pro help.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I was always taught to go careful on anything with plating. Brass brush works best, maybe some spray chemicals.

Comment

Working...
      X