Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Blue Voodoo 212 Combo Problems

Novice here...so be gentle.

Unplugging my guitar with the amp on & the volume up (maybe on "2") got the expected loud "crackle" when unplugging then amp went silent.

Amp was on for maybe 2 minutes at low volume (not warmed up)
    Power switches still light up when turned on
    Tubes still glow

Any ideas of what went wrong? (other than my carelessness)

Thanks !!!

How loud was the noise? Was it bass heavy? Possibly a blown speaker. Can you tell if the speakers are wired in series or parallel? If they are in series and one goes bye-bye, it will open the circuit and the amp will be silent. Do you have DVM?

If you do, unplug the speaker cable and measure the resistance from tip to ring. If it is something like 2 to 8 ohms, you are in good shape. If it is open, infinite resistance, your speaker(s). Remember that the speakers are labeled 4,8,16 etc. ohms impedence. But the actual DC resistance will be slightly lower. So you won't likey see exact numbers in 4, 8, 16 ohms.

It's a long shot, but I have been making that booboo for 25 years and never broke an amp (electrically) so I can't think of what might have gone wrong.

Also remember not to turn your amp on with the speaker cable unplugged, it can be harmful.

Comment

I got 6 ohms across the speakers.....still dead.

Comment

Crates are notorious for cracked or cold solder joints on all the 1/4 inch jacks.
        Try plugging your guitar into the return of the effects loop and see if you get some sound to the speakers. If you can hear something then your probably ok on the output section. The return jack may have become corroded and this can kill your signal from the pre amp. If it's still silent then you may have lost your high voltage to the output tubes.
        Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
        X