No announcement yet.

Capacitor Purchase via Distrubutors 2002-2014 Class Action Lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevetslab sounds like he'll be in on the deal. Not sure it is proper in the legal sense but I would be curious how much anyone in the repair field might acquire from such a lawsuit. Probably have to wait a year or so to find out.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      A good point. What about major manufacturers who buy caps by the millions and billions - even if I bought say 10,000 caps in the target time period what kind of settlement would come my way. Hint: I don't bug my bank with checks valued in pennies.
      of course its the Lawyers who get a lot of those half cents!

Comment

Having found a break in my maintenance schedule, I compiled a list in Excel listing everything I had purchased from Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, Newark, CE Distribution between 2009 and 2014. I had also listed all the Tantalum and Ceramic caps purchased during a hydrophone preamp project, but today, had to delete them from the list, as reading thru the lawsuit details, it only covers Aluminum Elecrolytic and Film caps (using mylar or polypropylene). And, it only covers the listed Defendant Manufacturers. So, among my listed purchases, I'll have to go back in and delete parts from Sprague/Vishay, BC/Vishay, Illiinois, F & T, J/J Electronics, CE, Roderstein and a few others, but, I still have racked up around $850 between the film and electrolytic parts purchased over that span.. I'd be surprised if I even was awarded 5% of what was spent, but, not a difficult exercise, since all of the records were in my database (as well as having to go back in with the invoice P/N and load that back into Mouser to find out what the value & type was, since they've stopped providing that detail on their invoices).

More to follow.........
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

You're way too good at recordkeeping nevets. I'd have to go thru boxes of paper records. Lucky if I could get it done in a day. And if they demand photocopies of the invoices from Mouser, Newark, DigiKey, CE, Magic etc etc, oy! All that for a sandwich-money reward. I'll buy the lawyers a sandwich instead. Just one though, they'll have to share it. Phooey.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Well I think the effort might be worth the journey, and the story. I already have sandwich money. I'm following along because it's at least a little entertaining
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

This past week, I got another reminder notice from Capacitors Indirect Case, which this time had an ID number for me and two dollar amounts that somehow had been arrived at for both Electrolytic and Film Cap purchases. With instructions to cross them out and add the revised totals if I had them. Initially, my edited total had been around $850, but after making further edits on the list, and printing out all of the invoices I had from Mouser and Digi-Key, that total had dropped down to around $520 for Electrolytics and $28 for film caps. I found with the few Digi-Key invoices, they don't specify who the part mfgr is, so I had to go onto their website to find out. Lost a few more parts on my list once I found the mfgrs on the invoice weren't among the qualified mfgrs. Punched & bound the thick pile of pages with Comb Binding and got that in the mail this morning. At least I got it done before the March 20, 2020 deadline. What if anything I get back from all this, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                What if anything I get back from all this, we'll see.
                Your check for nine cents will arrive shortly, no doubt. Try to ignore the guffaws from bank personnel when you cash it.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

So interested to see the outcome.
                  I was sent info to become part of this class action, but the burden of locating all my records just is too overwhelming.
                  Kudos to you Nevets!
                  Great work and amazing organizational skills with your record keeping!
                  Do please keep us up to date, very interested to see how you do.
                  The lawsuit isnt just seeking relief from damages but also seeks heavy punitive compensation too....
                  Who knows ya might end up with a nice little chunk of change, maybe buy a new piece of test gear?! Maybe a nice Cap analyzer!!!
                  Phineus J. Whoopy, you are the greatest! May just get one more peek at that three dimensional blackboard please?

Comment

Originally posted by dugdiamond View Post
                    maybe buy a new piece of test gear?! Maybe a nice Cap analyzer!!!
                    One hopes But maybe just a Snickers bar

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with a Snickers bar in and of itself

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

If nevets aka Mr.Test-gear doesn't already have more than 1 cap analyzer I'll eat my hat.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        If nevets aka Mr.Test-gear doesn't already have more than 1 cap analyzer I'll eat my hat.
                        I may need to post a "hat" recipe in the 'What's for dinner' thread But I doubt it.

Comment

Your hat's safe. There's more than one bridge, as well as a network analyzer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Your check for nine cents will arrive shortly, no doubt. Try to ignore the guffaws from bank personnel when you cash it.
                            Today I received a reply from this Capacitor Indirect Case....a settlement. I was half-expecting Leo was correct until I opened the letter. There was a check enclosed along with an explanation letter. Settlement for what I submitted was $77.46. Far more than I would have expected, but I'll take it,. Not bad for having the details in my records to submit.

Comment

Well there ya go! Maybe worth the trouble at least.?. And probably an unexpected (though small) boon at this point in the game. I'd treat it like what it is. A little pocket money that you didn't necessarily expect so spend it on vice rather than obligations. A meal out or a decent bottle. You certainly have that settlements value out in your time already. But since it was never a sure or known thing this could be taken as something extra (though absolutely earned) now. Good for you.

Comment

I would take that as one in the win column. Pays off to keep all your records of everything. Way to go!
                                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                                X