Corroded wiring in a SF Pro Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corroded wiring in a SF Pro Reverb

So, I've just figured out that the wire running from pin 7 or V2 on my SF Pro Reverb is corroded and is likely causing a low output situation on the vibrato channel. My question is, what kind of wire is being used and what are some possible types of replacement suitable for this application?

Corroded wire?

There is no special wire in these amps. About the only thing I might consider special would be the occasional piece of shielded cable. Is that what you have? Otherwise, plain old hookup wire. Ther is no appreciable current into a grid on a 12AX7, so the wire gauge doesn't matter. No point in large wire so 20-something gauge is fine.

I wouldn't generally suspect a wire for a low output condition.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Corroded wire?

There is no special wire in these amps. About the only thing I might consider special would be the occasional piece of shielded cable. Is that what you have? Otherwise, plain old hookup wire. Ther is no appreciable current into a grid on a 12AX7, so the wire gauge doesn't matter. No point in large wire so 20-something gauge is fine.

I wouldn't generally suspect a wire for a low output condition.
      Enzo,

Thanks for the reply. I've uploaded two pictures of the wire the one is the end that connects to the 1m potentiometer and the other picture is the end connected to pin 7 of V2. If you look closely at the first picture, you can see what I believe is corrosion in the wire strands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrosion 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	855655Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrosion 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	855656

Comment

Replace that wire if it bothers you, or trim it back a bit and re-strip it if it will reach, but I suspect it is not the only wire like that in your amp.

This is what I use, it's nice and I like this distributor as well. https://www.markertek.com/product/23...black-per-foot
        Last edited by Randall; 09-29-2019, 10:54 PM.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

That doesn't look any different many SF Fenders I get in and I don't recall this being an issue. The appearance is one thing, but the electrical properties are unaffected as long as the solder joints are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
            Replace that wire if it bothers you, or trim it back a bit and re-strip it if it will reach, but I suspect it is not the only wire like that in your amp.

This is what I use, it's nice and I like this distributor as well. https://www.markertek.com/product/23...black-per-foot
            Randall,
            Thanks for the link, Mogami is really useful in SF Fenders.
            Zouto

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post

Thanks for the link Randall. Just curious, is there a particular reason Fender chose this type of wire for use with volume controls? The master volume on this amp also uses this type of wire. It seems to be a shielded cable of some sort. Sorry for the repeated questions on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleet View Post
                is there a particular reason Fender chose this type of wire for use with volume controls? The master volume on this amp also uses this type of wire. It seems to be a shielded cable of some sort.
                Fender used to use the same wire on all internal connections, at first cloth insulated, later plastic - PVC - until around early 70's. About the same time they started offering master volume amps. I don't find much advantage in shielded lines from input jacks or volume controls. One exception, maybe, for those runs to/from master volumes, because they run so close to the power transformer. There's more of a hum advantage putting a piece of copper or brass shielding between the high voltage runs and the vib channel inputs & controls, sort of a noise "dam".

What I do find in Fender's shielded cable from that period, the inner insulator melts very easily, also is discolored grey. When re making these connections, I put a piece of heat shrink over the inner insulation layer, tends to hold things in place.

Good lead Randall on the Mogami ! Very affordable, and Markertek isn't far away from where I am. Might have to invest in a 100m roll of this stuff.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                X