Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend me a cheap tone generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My go-to audio oscillator is one I built over 40 years ago. I think it has about 6 parts built on Vero. Capacitor-coupled output, so protected against DC. It will do 1v p-p max and has pencil marks for typical output levels. Just a 9v battery and single level control for the fixed 1khz signal. I use this for most troubleshooting, though sometimes I need a variable frequency signal to test crossovers or bass amps so have a function generator for those tasks.

Comment

Thanks for the suggests everyone, I think I'll be asking my other half for a Tenma 72-505 for Christmas, that looks neat. In the mean time I found a bluetooth device for peanuts, less then the price of a coffee, so once that arrives I'll see how it performs. I might build something at a later date, it would make for a good learning project.

Comment

I've used the ICL8038 on Vero. Here's a complete kit - link

Comment

I have an old populated board from Maplin that uses the same IC - really versatile.

There's a cheap XR2206 based generator widely available quite cheaply;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XR2206-Si...0769bac9cc3cfb

Comment

Take a look at this: GW Instek, gag-810.Analog basic one, 200 bucks around, very happy with it.
            https://www.gwinstek.com/en-GB/produ...AG-810_GAG-809
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              I have an old populated board from Maplin that uses the same IC - really versatile.

There's a cheap XR2206 based generator widely available quite cheaply;
              That looks good, I only have a 4ftx2ft bench to work on so anything small is preferable. I'll ask the other half to put that on the Christmas list

Comment

Working...
              X