Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend me a cheap tone generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you recommend me a cheap tone generator?

Hi all,

I have been using my android phone as a tone generator for some time, this was fine until today, when the INPUT on the PA system was putting OUT 14vdc, this has blown the headphone amp out on my phone and it's now useless... lesson learnt the hard way.

I'd like a cheap alternative to exploding android phones, can anyone suggest a cheap battery powered device that can spit out a sine wave?

Thanks.

The is about the cheapest lowish distortion idea I can come up with:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wbo_TI.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	855684

Taken from pg 12 of this TI app note

sloa060.pdf

An output level control would be an essential addition.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I usually use my phone as well, or I have an old android tablet. If I had to I would just get a $5 thrift store android phone to dedicate to being a generator, or if you have an old one with crappy battery or something.

Comment

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
        " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

As high enough DC could also destroy the output stages of other direct coupled signal sources, it seems advisable to isolate the signal source output by a foil coupling cap of 1µF or higher.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            As high enough DC could also destroy the output stages of other direct coupled signal sources, it seems advisable to isolate the signal source output by a foil coupling cap of 1µF or higher.
            Or an audio transformer, with an appreciable high voltage isolation rating. I was recently donated a few of these, from an old-school PA/telephone tech.

If, as our OP states in his opening paragraph, the INPUT to some audio system has 14V of DC riding on it, yes the cap is the best idea.

FWIW I've popped the output chip on my Loftech TS-1 several times when applying signal, even through a 600V rated capacitor, to some point in a circuit. The sudden application of high voltage (which might be as low as a couple of volts, not necessarily hundreds) can wreck the testing circuit. May be best to bring up the voltage slowly with a variac on the unit under test.
            Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 10-02-2019, 11:09 PM.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with the Tenma 72-505. A lot of places sell them for close to $60, but if you look around, you can get them for about $40. I like that it has a synch out I can send to my o-scope.

Comment

I had a shower thought this morning, I could use one of those cheap bluetooth audio receivers and plug it into whatever needed a signal and send the tone from my phone/tablet/pc while remaining safely air gapped. It won't help me if some tesla coil type event occurs but if I blow up a £5 adapter it's better than a £200 phone!

Comment

"until today, when the INPUT on the PA system was putting OUT 14vdc,"
                  Hah!
                  Had a guy blow up 2 separate looper pedals that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    Had a guy blow up 2 separate looper pedals that way.
                    Yikes! I think I'll be packing a DI box from now on.
                    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                      Yikes! I think I'll be packing a DI box from now on.
                      Speaking of audio xfmrs, Toa makes a couple inexpensive 10k bridging xfmr modules for their 900 series PA mixers that receive these Mic, Line, interface modules, as well as the Peavey modules that also support the Toa mixers. I bought a B-01 10k Bridging Input module for like $8-$9 on ebay some time back, and another one for $13. While they don't have extremely high LF headroom for input level, they'll handle real high signal level from 100Hz on up. No spec on their voltage isolation.

900_module_guide.pdf

These TOA modules are usually 'sleepers' on ebay, available cheap.
                      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNuzum View Post
                        I have had pretty good luck with the Tenma 72-505. A lot of places sell them for close to $60, but if you look around, you can get them for about $40. I like that it has a synch out I can send to my o-scope.
                        That Tenma looks mighty like a Wavetek unit I first encountered in 1975, being used by PA wiz Don Pearson. Learned an awful lot from that guy! Can't beat it for portability.

There was another pocket size oscillator offered early 80's by Fostex, intended for tape recorder alignment. Not a big choice of frequencies, I think it was just 40, 100, 1K and 10KHz.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I inherited an old AG-8 Heathkit audio generator from my grandfather.
                          https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...tor-1922287307

Far from being portable but it is not very heavy. My grandfather worked for Motorola here in Scottsdale, AZ and took part building transponder to communicate with the moon landing of 1969.
                          https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...le/1739639001/
                          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I know this doesn't help at all, but I use an HP200CD. It's built like a tank and goes up into RF frequencies. All tube and point to point military grade build.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	200CD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	855702
                            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Before I even open the things, on old PV solid state stuff, I go around the jacks with a volt meter looking to see if any have 15v on the tip. Even if you are not using that jack (one with a shorted diode) it can affect operation. Imagine one in the FX loop jacks. That would mean that the signal path would be squiched up against a 15v rail, causing severe distortion and loss of signal.

Those old Heathkits are great. I have several, the little IG72 is a useful little unit. The IG5218 is a very popular unit.

Oh yeah, those old HP200 series are terrific units. I had an ancient one in a rack chassis, but they made 200s for decades.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X