Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your "go to" multimeter?

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 347/5
    Given: 239/0
    This was another piece of gear that was passed on to me from my Grandfather.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	55540

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0
    I have a Fluke 8808A bench meter with long test leads that have mini-grabbers on the end rather than the usual probes. I couldn't do without it!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,121/102
    Given: 152/36
    Quote Originally Posted by allsignalmustpass View Post
    I have a Fluke 8808A bench meter with long test leads that have mini-grabbers on the end rather than the usual probes. I couldn't do without it!
    I have long some with mini grabbers on them also, except they goto a BNC connection for my scope, I use a pomoma adapter that converts from BNC to the DVM banana jacks.

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,426/4
    Given: 2,810/0
    I have a grabby probe for my scope. I like it. Always wanted some for my meter but I've never prioritized it. I often use my alligator clip leads from the meter probes to the circuit to accomplish something similar anyway. Gotta have a few alligator clip leads. I have four and I find myself short now and then. Making a couple more is something else I should prioritize.

Meter tip from pdf64... If you have good probes they'll have tips made of solid material. Probably some kind of austenitic stainless steel? I don't know. But you can sharpen them to improve readings on oxidized or overly fluxed joints

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 655/1
    Given: 1,486/1

Probe Clips

While I have a few Probe Master DMM probes, with the thread-on insulating tips to save your butt from being careless, I'm very fond of the XL EZ-Hook Mini-Probes, as seen in the first image connected to the base and collector leads of a power xstr, with the Fluke 8060A in Diode Test mode. I have several sets of those cables equipped with both the XL as well as the normal length Min-Probes. I've been using EZ-Hook for decades, along with some of the Pomona versions which are stronger, more robust. Eventually, the lead breaks off inside the push-ball, but easy to restore, after removing the remains of the previous wire, and tack-soldering a freshly prepared end. Their original form factor was the Ball End, then changing to the ergonomic shape that Pomona has always had.

Name:	EZ-Hook XL Probes-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	55705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EZ-Hook Mini-Hook tip.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	55706 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EZ-Hook Mini-Hook-1.jpg 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	55707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EZ-Hook Mini-Hook-2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	55708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EZ-Hook Mini-Hook-3.jpg 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	55709

At one of the TRW Radio Amateur Technical Swap Meets in Redondo Beach, CA decades ago, I came across some Logic Probe cables, which were equipped with these tiny removable grabber probes, connected using square plastic connectors having the mating socket for the tiny 0.025" round pin in the probe. I've fitted the sockets to mate with these probes on several of my Tektronix Scope Probe's ground leads, along with the traditional mini-alligator clip.

Name:	Logic Probe Clip-1.jpg 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	55710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logic Probe Clip-2.jpg 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	55711 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logic Probe Clip-3.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	55712 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logic Probe Clip-4.jpg 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	55713

These tiny grabber clips can get in and firmly clip onto IC leads (though not advised when the circuit is powered up!). I do have a collection of EZ-Hook's Micro-Probes, which are about the same size as these.....and while nice probes, I like these logic probe grabber clips a bit better.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thread Information