Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your "go to" multimeter?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/0
    Given: 2/0

Post What is your "go to" multimeter?

I have owned various brands of multimeters (Klein, Craftsman, Radio Shack, Wavetek, Sperry, Extech, etc.). That said my go to meter is always my trusty old Fluke 87 V. It has most of the functions that I need, is reliable, is very safe, accurate and durable. The main thing is that I have confidence that the reading is correct. If only I had that much confidence in the operator. :-)

FYI: This is not a paid endorsement from Fluke.....though I wish it was. Hey Fluke! If you are monitoring this forum, please send me a free multimeter! I promise that I will only say nice things about it. ;-)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,413/21
    Given: 1,196/0
    How about an ancient Fluke 8000A DVM that's been inhabiting my workbench since the mid 70's. Sometimes this Fluke gets flakey but so far I've been able to set it straight just by punching thru the pushbuttons. Good ol' stuff that never quits.

A couple of old Shack meters suffice for field work. One's a 22-806. I can't find the other at the moment. Not the cheapest ones, they were @ $40 in the early 90's.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,219/1
    Given: 945/1
    I've got meters everywhere- one in the band bus, a couple at home, one in the car, a couple at work. Can't remember all the brand/models. I know I've got a couple B&K's. Oddly, the one I use most at work is an old Universal Enterprises DM300 that I got free back in the 80's as a reward for buying so many parts from one of my vendors. I also use my scope alot. It's a Sencore SC61 with a selectable LCD readout- DCV, VPP, or FREQ. I like it because you can make lots of measurements with one device and, at the same time, see what's going on. It's nice to be able see a digital DCV readout while at the very same time see ACV on the screen.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,093/102
    Given: 146/35
    Fluke 87 $2 at the flea market and another given to me by an older ham. The older hams find it refreshing to see someone younger than them willing to tear into things and repair them. You don't see it so much anymore and they willing give me stuff to make it easier.

nosaj

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 856/32
    Given: 846/14
    I have a fluke 89 in the desk drawer.
    I have a bunch of cheap meters, I mainly use for continuity, and low voltage use, around the property.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing off corrupt people!" Diplomat George Kent
    Terry

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 179/0
    Given: 20/0
    I like my Fluke model 11 and 12. The downside is neither measures current - rather an oversight on Fluke's part. I like how it switches to voltage measurement if you have it on the resistance scale and it detects a voltage across the probes. The auto-ranging is fast. For everything else I use an ancient Beckman Industrial HD110 that's still in perfect condition and is rated at 1500v.

I'm a sucker for offers and have plenty of cheap (mainly Chinese) DMMS where the cardboard box probably cost more to make than the meter.

Thumbs Up/Down
    We shouldn't leave out old fashioned (?) d'Arsonval-movement meters. I was quite annoyed with myself when I lunched my old Simpson 260 about 20 years ago. Wrecked beyond repair. Meanwhile I've collected 3 of the 160 mini version, 2 showing up within the last year. What keeps me from putting these into service are the 22.5V batteries - expensive and moreso when shipping is added. And those dopey 2mm mini banana leads. One of these days I'll take the plunge.

Also wrecked a Radio Shack meter when I started probing a live amp ... whoops! At least it was cheap.

Somewhere in my junque room lingers an RCA FET-VOM also in need of repair. Finding the right FET, that's the trick.

Would be nice to score a tough old VTVM. Back in the day, those were the cat's pajamas!

In conclusion, I have no standard movement meter. Drat, something's missing in my life.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,317/4
    Given: 2,693/0
    My bench meter is a Fluke 87. I have a couple of cheapies that I keep around for misc. stuff like when I want to monitor two voltages simultaneously. I bought the Fluke maybe six or seven years ago based on things I've read here after my old meters plate switch went unrepairably hinky. My old meter lasted about twenty years. A B&K Precision meter and "component tester" that I purchased for about $70 (US) at Quement Electronics (back when I bought it you could walk into an electronic component store and shop!!!). That was a great meter. Not just for the price either. The only drawback as I see it is that the models they produce change so commonly that getting repair parts is impossible. I would have repaired that meter if I could have purchased the switch. So my old B&K died and I replaced it with the Fluke. There was one thing the B&K did that the Fluke doesn't... The B&K had a capacitor tester that would accurately measure from a few pf up to about 1uf. The Fluke can measure in a range of something like 1uf to 4.7uf. Which wouldn't be very useful at all except that I figured out to put a known good capacitor in series with the one I wish to test to get the overall values within test range and then do the math from there. And this still isn't very useful since the value of new, high voltage electrolytics tested by a low voltage doesn't serve much purpose. But the 87 is tough, accurate and has fast auto ranging. The display lamp has come in handy. This may seem like small potatoes, but I like that it has more ballast than my last meter. I was always dragging that thing off the bench.

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 135/0
    Given: 3/0
    This is my Go-To meter. Bought it in the mid-70s, use it daily. FET input, 50KHz bandwidth, taut-band meter. Best analog meter I've ever found.
    If I need a little more accuracy I have a Wavetek 27XT. For a lot more accuracy I have an Agilent 34401A

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1570281934
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM-104.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	55424  

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by dmeek View Post
    This is my Go-To meter. Bought it in the mid-70s, use it daily. FET input, 50KHz bandwidth, taut-band meter. Best analog meter I've ever found.
    If I need a little more accuracy I have a Wavetek 27XT. For a lot more accuracy I have an Agilent 34401A

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1570281934
    Something you don't often get on digital meters, but nearly always on analog meters is the zero adjust or null option. I think that would be handy. I can add ans subtract of course but I'd still like to see this feature become common on digital meters.

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Sometimes a proper analogue meter is more useful than a DMM for some jobs. I thinned mine out to leave a nice little Taylor. The large AVO meters went a few years a go as they're just a little bit too big. I think I'd still like to get hold of a compact VTVM meter as they seem to be pretty much indestructible.

There's a theme in this thread - most people seem to be attached to their older meters.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 19/0
    Fluke 177 & Fluke 115
    My trusty Fluke 77 was given as a present to a good friend along with an old Micronta power supply.

Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Interesting you should mention Micronta. In the 70s I bought a Micronta auto ranging DMM that was an eye-watering price at the time here in the UK. Made in Japan and a delight to use. I was really saddened when the LCD display eventually dimmed until it became unusable. That was my trusted companion for many years.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I still have two Micronta analog meters put away for the day I might want to use one. I gave away the Micronta DVM's I had years ago after I got my first Fluke 77. Spoiled me for life. The Microntas were not auto ranging.

Drewline

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewline View Post
    I still have two Micronta analog meters put away for the day I might want to use one. I gave away the Micronta DVM's I had years ago after I got my first Fluke 77. Spoiled me for life. The Microntas were not auto ranging.
    My fav Micronta was the clamshell.

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Here are a couple of nice folding meters. They sell for about $1000 each, a little over my budget.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1570458863
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gossen Metrawatt Catalog 2012.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	504.3 KB 
ID:	55442  

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 647/1
    Given: 1,478/1
    Mine is still Fluke 8060A 4.5 digit True RMS DMM, with dB, Rel mode, Freq. I have two of them, still working, though have to stay on top of the internal meter connections of the LCD display. On some test setups, I'll use an HP 3467A 4-Ch scanning DMM, though it is limited to 350VDC/250VAC.

Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thumbs Up/Down
    That's a very well loved meter when you look around. I remember it being just a little out of my price range when I bought the 87. I think the LCD issue exists for the 87 as well since I saw many, including the one I bought, that had been refurbed with a new display.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Those Gossen meters that dmeek posted look superb - I want one of each. I've just taken a look a the rest of the range and they have some really nice equipment and it's interesting that high-end analogue meters are still being produced.

It really is a sign of old age where a chap moves from drooling over lingerie models to drooling over test equipment.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 336/5
    Given: 230/0
    Just in the shop tonight and this Tenma resistor/capacitor meter was struggling to read a 22 ohm resistor. It read the 4.7k just fine, probably battery low. So bust out the Fluke 189 and no issues. Definitely my go to meter but I like to share the use with my cheaper meters.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 11/0
    I just put new jacks in my Fluke 87--looks almost new again! And I have an 8060 in a drawer that needs help, but still works. I also picked up a DE5000 LCR for more precise component testing. And a Rigol scope that is much more portable than my old Techtronics ever thought of being. Never leave home without it!

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 348/2
    Given: 260/4

Did someone say Micronta?

I don't remember when I got this, but it was a really long time ago. Volts, milliamps and ohms with a manual range switch. Model 22-198U:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	899.4 KB 
ID:	55486

-tb

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 348/2
    Given: 260/4
    Then there's this old soldier, model 22-214:

Name:	IMG_0693.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1,014.7 KB 
ID:	55490

-tb

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 117/0
    Given: 627/0
    I used to support the notion that meters are all the same... Wow was I ever wrong !!! I went through 4 or 5 cheap discount store meters in the span of two years, and that's how long it's taken me to get smart and not waste time on junk.

I don't think they can take high voltage DC, regardless of what the dial says (1,000v), and the internal fuses are not blown, so it's not that, they are just junk.

I am using a cheap but seemingly better Harbor Freight unit (Cen-Tech) at the moment and for the last 6 months, but I have to buy a really good one, perhaps with auto ranging, although that is not mandatory.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/11-fun...SABEgLjIvD_BwE

I will pay attention to what you gents say on this thread, and go out shopping for a new one.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Maybe one of the "old timers" can answer this one for me. Taut-band meter? We had a very nice 'taut band' Triplett VOM on the bench at the workshop at my college. The needle always took its good ol' time settling into place. Not a meter that would follow fast changes in voltage, for sure. OTOH the needle never jittered around, it sort of showed the average reading is my best guess. Can anyone explain?

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,219/1
    Given: 945/1
    Quote Originally Posted by tboy View Post
    I don't remember when I got this, but it was a really long time ago. Volts, milliamps and ohms with a manual range switch. Model 22-198U:

Name:	IMG_0691.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	899.4 KB 
ID:	55486
    I still have one of those!

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    I had no idea that Gossen manufactured multimeters. Back in the day they made some of the best photographic light meters. I used to work on them all the time.

Drewline

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewline View Post
    I had no idea that Gossen manufactured multimeters. Back in the day they made some of the best photographic light meters. I used to work on them all the time.
    Likewise. Still use my Gossen Luna Pro SBC & Luna Sphere.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Maybe one of the "old timers" can answer this one for me. Taut-band meter? We had a very nice 'taut band' Triplett VOM on the bench at the workshop at my college. The needle always took its good ol' time settling into place. Not a meter that would follow fast changes in voltage, for sure. OTOH the needle never jittered around, it sort of showed the average reading is my best guess. Can anyone explain?
    My meter, the Heathkit IM-104 is slow too, it's still a mystery to me as to why. I think the main advantage with taut band meters is that there are no pivot bearings, so no friction. The reading is more repeatable
    and not sensitive to meter position horizontal or vertical.

I'll just add a little nugget of information that's been very helpful to me. If your needle is sticking because of static buildup on the plastic window, remove the window and wash it in warm soapy water.
    Then let dry - DO NOT RINSE. The soap film will kill the static. I have to do this every 4 years or so.

Last edited by dmeek; 10-11-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,611/23
    Given: 4,120/11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    For everything else I use an ancient Beckman Industrial HD110 that's still in perfect condition and is rated at 1500v.
    You don't have a spare LCD for that baby do you? I have a 310 (same as HD series) but the display got broken. Great meter. I have a spare multi-processor and the service manual if you need anything.

My main meter is a Meterman 37XR. I was also recently given a heathkit IM-32 VTVM that needs a bit of work and a needle cover.

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    You don't have a spare LCD for that baby do you? I have a 310 (same as HD series) but the display got broken. Great meter. I have a spare multi-processor and the service manual if you need anything.

My main meter is a Meterman 37XR. I was also recently given a heathkit IM-32 VTVM that needs a bit of work and a needle cover.
    Ha i think I have a 310 with the leather case good condition that doesn't come on if you want it for shipping has leather case probes an manual.

nosaj

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,724/1
    Given: 977/2
    We have different brands over here:

Name:	MM.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	634.9 KB 
ID:	55522

Analog taut-band, mirror scale meters by Hartmann&Braun, DMMs by Philips PM2518X and Siemens B1023 both true RMS and 40kHz/20kHz bandwidth.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-11-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    You don't have a spare LCD for that baby do you?
    I don't, but I'm keeping a lookout for any more of these if they turn up cheaply enough. I'll you know if I happen across a display.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    I don't, but I'm keeping a lookout for any more of these if they turn up cheaply enough. I'll you know if I happen across a display.

Name:	IMG_20191004_174502063.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	55530
    Free for shipping doesn't come on.

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmholtz View Post
    We have different brands over here:

Name:	MM.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	634.9 KB 
ID:	55522

Analog taut-band, mirror scale meters by Hartmann&Braun, DMMs by Philips PM2518X and Siemens B1023 both true RMS and 40kHz/20kHz bandwidth.
    I like that larger Analog taut-band meter! Never seen that one before, nor the Seimens, both of which look like really nice instruments!

Thread Information