No announcement yet.

Echolette pinch roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this while googling Echolette and Toynbee to find this thread.

Popular Music and Instrument Technology in an Electronic Age, 1960-1969
    Farley Miller
    http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/we...5132402701~736

https://od.lk/s/OV8xNjgwMTg0NDJf/Pop...2019601969.pdf

Comment

Along the same line!

Spent most of the day restoring a Echolette E51.
      These are rather difficult to work on and as stated by me and many others are probably best left to professional service/repair persons.
      Although not unusual every capacitor that I replaced was faulty and care had to be taken that an appropriate size (physically) was used as a too large a capacitor can cause rubbing of the capacitor to the chassis.
      All preset pots were checked and cleaned/lubricated and all in all, possibly because I had acquired lots of useful service information over time, the electronics of this Echolette appear to be in good condition.
      Tomorrow I will tidy up some of my work and then commence an overhaul of the tape drive/transport system, first up a new rubber tape pinch wheel.
      Mike
      Attached Files

Comment

Mecaso posted a picture of one with a black roller on the tension arm here:
        https://music-electronics-forum.com/...t=24634&page=4

My Echolette doesn't have a lot of PC boards in it.

Comment

I put in new electrolytics along with a new motor capacitor. The new ones are smaller than the originals. I figured if the motor capacitor went bad it might damage the motor, so I replaced the capacitor. The problem of no delay sound without a jumper at the remote control socket went away before, but now its back. I was thinking about making a variable remote control, if I can't fix it. It might be a short circuit. I had PVD in both eyes and can't see inside of it too well. Its like a rat's nest inside.
          Attached Files

Comment

Im not sure why you are concerned about the remote control socket, it has no affect on the output unless a remote is plugged in. In my 50 years of Echolette useage and repairs I have never seen a remote , used one, or had a customer's complaint about one. Maybe a previous owner has been fiddling with the remote control wiring but it would be better left alone.
            Not sure also why PVD would affect your eyesight but have never heard of PVD before, sincerely hope you overcome this issue.
            Also have you replaced the bridge rectifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey View Post
              Im not sure why you are concerned about the remote control socket, it has no affect on the output unless a remote is plugged in. In my 50 years of Echolette useage and repairs I have never seen a remote , used one, or had a customer's complaint about one. Maybe a previous owner has been fiddling with the remote control wiring but it would be better left alone.
              Not sure also why PVD would affect your eyesight but have never heard of PVD before, sincerely hope you overcome this issue.
              Also have you replaced the bridge rectifier?
              There's no tape delay signal unless I put a jumper between two pins in the remote control socket. Maybe the modifications done by someone else (input 3 and output jacks replaced with phone jacks) caused this problem.

PVD = Posterior Vitreous Detachment
              https://www.asrs.org/patients/retina...ous-detachment
              Typically an epiretinal membrane forms over the retina after PVD which affects vision. Surgery can be done to remove the epiretinal membrane. I replaced the selenium rectifier with a silicon bridge rectifier. I talked about this in the thread already.

Comment

Lets have a look at the circuit diagram. The audio from the playback heads go through a pre-amp and then via the reverb control R50, R57 & R65 to the output socket, some of this signal is fed back via R52, R51 & R47 to increase reverbaration (echo). Pin 3 on the remote control swich when switch on would ground the echo signal to pin 2 or if in the pin 1 position this would ground the output signal, but I can't verify this as I have no knowledge of how a remote control switch is wired.
                Having said that there are no other wires connected to the remote socket (have checked both an NG51 & an E51) so I would think that a previous owner has had a fiddle with the unit. Rewire it to the schematic and at the same time check the wiring to the 5 pin output socket, also check your echo-amplifier connecting lead for correct wiring.
                Pin 3 on the wiring diagram is the full output connection and pin 1 is the low level output connection, they are both combined signal outputs.

Comment

Working...
                X