The Ugly Amp Thread :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ugly Amp Thread :-)

The guy selling this on eBay painted it himself and thinks it "looks pretty good."

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	876023
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Okay the selling point question is... does it come with the pencil ✏️ included?
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Wow What a psychedelic amplifier Click image for larger version

Name:	siri ruke.gif
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	855748

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naoknj1ebqI
      It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
        Okay the selling point question is... does it come with the pencil ✏️ included?
        I wouldn't accept it without it.

I think I should post the innards of some of my builds on this thread...

Jusrin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Some amps are ugly on the INSIDE. This is supposed to be a Princeton Reverb.?.

Attached Files
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just in time for Halloween, looks like it's painted in blood. Might appeal to Charlie Manson types. Yikes!
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Some amps are ugly 1) on the INSIDE.
              1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
              Wow old timer. Black face with rag wire, admittedly little "processed".
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Mmmm... spaghetti!
                -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Beauty is in the hole of the behinder...
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

In the hand of the beer holder!
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Looks like a bowl of noodles ! But hey, it's the opposite with amps from people for me, it's what it sounds like on the outside that counts... Provided it doesn't cause a fire, or go into uncontrolled oscillations randomly !
                      " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

I haven't heard any of these, but I like the read on the home page:

http://uglyamps.com/

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Making wire manufacturers rich.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I haven't heard any of these, but I like the read on the home page:

http://uglyamps.com/
                            Didn't that dude used to post here regularly or sumpin'?

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                              Didn't that dude used to post here regularly or sumpin'?

Justin
                              Not as far as I can tell.

The videos sound pretty good. Sometimes it's hard to tell when you have really good players working. The difference between a good player and a good sounding amp can be pretty small because a truly good player knows how to play WITH the amps character. Which is better than playing well IN SPITE of the amps tone. Though that can also work better than you might think. My impression is that they're pretty good. I'd like to hear a clip of the 18 watter cranked up. That's not on the site. I'll check *outube.

EDIT: Ok... I found some clips with the "Ugly 18" on *outube and it sounds nice clean, but sounds like crap overdriven. There's a couple of vids where the recording is obviously bad, I dismissed those. I did hear one clip with a good recording. If my amp sounded like that I'd be trying to fix it.
                              Last edited by Chuck H; 10-11-2019, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X