Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product Review: Fender Blues Junior FBJ (cream board) replacement tube PCB by MOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Review: Fender Blues Junior FBJ (cream board) replacement tube PCB by MOX

I've known about this product for a while, and withing the last couple of months, I saw it became available for purchase in the US through the seller's Reverb store:
    Fender Blues Junior FBJ (cream board) compatible replacement tube PCB with Bias Test Points by MOX***

A few weeks ago, a customer brought in a Jr for service, where the heat damage and stress to the tube PCB caused the solder joints to dry up and ring out. This caused intermittent connections and lead to the problems he was experiencing.
    Rather than the normal service (–ie. removal of the original solder, resoldering the board connections, and repairing any damaged or compromised traces), I thought this might be a good opportunity to pitch my boss on the idea of trying one of these replacement boards. I presented him with what I saw as a potential much better value for him in and the customer in the cost of labor on the existing Fender PCB, which we both thought was poor quality to begin with. Some of the other PCB replacements we have installed in the past were labor intensive and did not have the quality these PCBs appeared to have. But, once he was convinced that the tube sockets came
    pre-mounted and all the heaters didn't have to be re-wired, he talked to the customer and purchased the board for a trial run.
    The board arrived much quicker than we anticipated, in that it was being shipped from the UK and had to go through customs (I think in 5-6 days? but can't remember exactly). I imagine that because our shop is located pretty much right on the outskirts of Boston, MA, that factored into the quick receipt of the product.
    Enclosed in the package was a very nice, high quality PCB. The PCB was exactly as described,with plated through-holes (on both sides of the board), and all tube sockets and components pre-mounted.

Even taking into account that I mounted all the standoffs on wrong side of the PCB at first (oops), install was quick and painless. A true drop in replacement

One thing I did not notice until I began soldering in the two ribbon cables nearest the output tubes, was that there are air gaps milled in the PCB. In case of a fault, or tube short, this should go a long way in preventing any arcing between the traces where the Output Tube ribbon cables connect to the board. Nice touch

The one thing to mention is that there are two different board versions available. One advertised as "cream board" compatible, and one "green board" compatible.
    Perhaps nickb, can jump in and offer a quick explanation as to the different versions?

*** In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, the seller of this product is a well respected, long time forum member - nickb.
    I was not solicited in any way to write this or any review here. The above description accurately describes my personal and technical experience with, and opinion of this product. Just thought I should say that.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Thanks for posting the review. It's always seemed strange to me that Fender does not sell replacement PCBs for these amps since they do fall apart over time. I've seen some that have been repaired several times.

Comment

Very nice looking board. What is the cost?
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
        I've known about this product for a while, and withing the last couple of months, I saw it became available for purchase in the US through the seller's Reverb store:
        Fender Blues Junior FBJ (cream board) compatible replacement tube PCB with Bias Test Points by MOX
        Check the link, it shows the cost in the US from Reverb.com
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
        X