Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb, yet important, Power Transformer wiring question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb, yet important, Power Transformer wiring question.

Hi.

How should the following 100 watt Dagnall power tranny specs be interpreted?

0V Black
    175V Yellow
    350V 300mA Brown

Is the brown the CT in this case? Or the black? and while I'm at it - or the yellow?

Better to be safe than sorry :-)

Thanks!
    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

The CT should be yellow as it measures 175VAC to either black or brown. Yellow is in the middle of the winding so CT .
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Awesome - thank you!

And now that you say it, it makes sense!!!!
      "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr0 View Post
        How should the following 100 watt Dagnall power tranny specs be interpreted?

0V Black
        175V Yellow
        350V 300mA Brown
        Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        The CT should be yellow as it measures 175VAC to either black or brown. Yellow is in the middle of the winding so CT .
        I agree, based on the info provided. I might suggest measuring resistance (no power applied to primary, of course) between each of the three combinations of two wires, and then measuring AC voltage (when the PT is safely powered up). Both tests should agree on the following points:
        1. one pair of wires has the largest magnitude of resistance/voltage,
        2. and the remaining wire is equidistant from those two.
        of course, I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Not too far an aside, but how do you all do voltage measurements on an PT that isn't hooked up yet, assuming you know what the primaries are? I mean, do you clamp the transformer down to the bench, and wire up the secondaries to a terminal strip, so wires are connected solid? The voltages are so high, a small mistake could result awful. I would not trust myself to hook up alligator clips and power a PT up.
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

I have plastic clamps for just such work, I got them at a cheap tool store. They are spring loaded with a seriously powerful clamping force, so you can as you say clamp the wires away from each other onto a wooden tale top and there is no risk of short. The transformer itself is heavy, so just place it well away from the edge of the table and to the center, and no women or children in the room, seriously !

High voltage is only dangerous if you are loose in your precautions to insulate HT leads and yourself, as that type of voltage will never jump accross really big spans of distance, or jump through insulated surfaces. You just have to secure everthing once and properly, make your test, and then power everthing down 100% before you start to disconnect anything. If you have a switched outlet for the AC at the primaries, all the better.

You probably know this already, but the voltages are much higher with no load on the transformer, but I believe the widing ohms are the same more or less as installed.

No question is dumb, really, it's how you learn and other here (Me for one !) learn when others ask the fundamental questions. I have swallowed a lot of crow, showing everyone what I still don't know.
            Last edited by HaroldBrooks; 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM.
            " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

It's much safer to connect to an isolating mains transformer. I use my isolating variac which also features a current meter and an automatic circuit breaker. But alternatively you can power the PT from a 6.3V heater transformer connected to its heater winding (instead of connecting to mains). In any case you should measure both input and output voltages.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-11-2019, 04:13 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                Not too far an aside, but how do you all do voltage measurements on an PT that isn't hooked up yet, assuming you know what the primaries are? I mean, do you clamp the transformer down to the bench, and wire up the secondaries to a terminal strip, so wires are connected solid? The voltages are so high, a small mistake could result awful. I would not trust myself to hook up alligator clips and power a PT up.
                I use a test jig I constructed for my first build, still useful! An IEC connector and fuse block for the primaries on one end of a wooden plank, a term strip with space for all secondary wires on the other end of the plank. IIRC I have a couple 1N4007 diodes installed on the term strip at the ready. Simple to store, and fast when I want to work with any PT.
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                  It's much safer to connect to an isolating mains transformer. I use my isolating variac which also features a current meter and an automatic circuit breaker......
                  That's my method, also. I confess, I do just use alligator clips, though. Just make the connections with power off for safety.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                  X