Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY 1959 with horrible ... distortion? oscillation? not sure WHAT it is!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    You can probably fix that too. Of course it helps to have a schematic. Often the problem is in the power supply, worth checking out first. Sometimes it's the CRT. I've revived a couple of scopes that had bad high voltage caps - say 1 uF at 1500V. Newark Electronics had them at reasonable price - they're also known as Element 14 - I think they're Farnham in Europe. No more difficult than swapping out caps in a guitar amp. But you had better make sure the high voltage in a scope is discharged, 1500V is gonna hurt a lot more than 400-500V if you get zapped.
    I did some digging around - there is apparently a common issue - it was about a month and a half ago - I can't recall why I didn't move forward with it - but I do have the manual with the hundred page schematic - haha... I do recall the problem with the trace does happen in the high voltage cap section - I think I will give it another crack though - thanks for the inspiration! I hate to replace such an awesome oscope with a $400 piece of junk. It was working fine one day, turned it on a week later and no trace :-(. Gonna give her another go though!
    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

I'm not a presence on 10 guy myself, but you make it work for your style. I can hear the smaller speaker box too so I'm having no trouble listening around it. If you get my meaning. IMO you nailed that 1959 sound. And not all actual Marshalls even do that. A great tool for any player. Kudos
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I'm not a presence on 10 guy myself, but you make it work for your style. I can hear the smaller speaker box too so I'm having no trouble listening around it. If you get my meaning. IMO you nailed that 1959 sound. And not all actual Marshalls even do that. A great tool for any player. Kudos
        Thanks!

I have a 'real' 1959 and would sound great if it didn't have the sound of wrinkled paper with palm muting. I like this amp more - but it's only a few things that differ... I'm even using Dagnall trannies and ARS filters on this amp.
        "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Yes, it does sound excellent, well done
          I'd be interested to see as much info as you can get around to measuring on the power supply / power amp, eg OT ratios, PT HT Vac and Iac at open circuit, idle, max unclipped and max overdriven outputs.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
          X