Tolex eating Squirrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolex eating Squirrel

Just got a call from a guy who claims his pet squirrel ate the tolex and all the hardware off his JCM900 head. Needless to say, the pet got booted back to the wilderness. Is it cost effective to completely restore the box? All that's left is a wooden box with nothing on it, everything is stripped off, plus some of the wood. Does Marshall rebuild boxes, and would it be cheaper to send it back to them? I've done tolex before, so I know what that would cost, but it would need, the corners, vent grill, a Large logo, handle, piping... plus labor. What should a job like this cost, on average? $275-$300? The face plate and chassis are fine.

thanks,
    Gary
    Last edited by Garydean; 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM. Reason: error in title

Sometimes you can find them on ebay. Marshall used to sell them to dealers, I'd enquire there as well. If you contact Dale Lennington at Online Electronics in Kansas City, MO, he used to have one a customer ordered and never picked up; not sure he still does but its worth a shot.

You can probably get something close from a cabinet supplier; there are guys in North Carolina that do that stuff. A new box for a Germino 50-watter with logo etc cost me $200 brand new; the problem there would be getting the elephant tolex that is correct for Marshall since my understanding is that ONLY Marshall can get that stuff. If the customer isnt picky on elephant grey vs black, that might be the better way to go, assuming they'll make that shape of box.

Comment

I figured Marshall would be able to provide just the box for situations like this.

thanks for the reply.

Gary

Comment

Some OEMs will and others will not. WHat the factory doesn't want to do is make it easier for someone to make counterfeit amps and sell them in real cabs.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For that amount of cash you might be able to find a pre-made cabinet from a kit site like Weber. Measure the chassis and look here:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/wccabs.htm#head

Comment

Pet squirrel?
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Of course Bob. We have all kinds here in NJ.. I would beware though, last seen, this critter was headed toward Chicago 5 days ago. He was holding a sign that said "will work for tolex".

Comment

Working...
              X