No announcement yet.

Tube Practice Amp Adding Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the schooling fellows. [insert embarrassed emoticon here].
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
      It's a doubler but I think the bottom two diodes of the bridge are redundant. They will always be reverse biased.
      I agree, but think that the circuit posted by Chuck as is has some different benefit/reason.

First I noticed that if the junction between C1 and C2 were not connected to the rectifier bridge (terminal #4), the circuit would act as a standard bridge rectifier and its DC output would be halved.

But this also means that the circuit shown provides a simple way to double the DC output of an already existing bridge rectifier supply: Just add 2 caps and one wire (and double the voltage rating of C3). Voila, ecce, eccolo..
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-01-2019, 02:48 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        I agree, but think that the circuit posted by Chuck as is has some different benefit/reason.

First I noticed that if the junction between C1 and C2 were not connected to the rectifier bridge (terminal #4), the circuit would act as a standard bridge rectifier and its DC output would be halved.

But this also means that the circuit shown provides a simple way to double the DC output of an already existing bridge rectifier supply: Just add 2 caps and one wire (and double the voltage rating of C3). Voila, ecce, eccolo..
        The circuit is a commonly found arrangement dual voltage SMPS front ends.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

The circuit is a commonly found arrangement dual voltage SMPS front ends.
          Interesting, thanks.

I guess you mean at the secondary of the flyback transformer? Should be fast switching/recovery diodes then. They probably use integrated bridges, not discrete diodes, right?
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-01-2019, 04:33 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I've seen it directly on the mains input for 115/230V selection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMPS 115-230V.png
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	855960
            Last edited by Dave H; 11-01-2019, 04:32 PM. Reason: Added schematic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              I've seen it directly on the mains input for 115/230V selection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55837[/ATTACH]
              Makes a lot of sense. In this application you actually need all 4 diodes to switch between both modes.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
              X