Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two switching cables off one stereo jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two switching cables off one stereo jack?

Hey all,
    Trying to minimize pedalboard space and side jacks. I think this should work but let me know if I missed something.

if I built a pedal with a latching switch and a momentary switch with the hot of the latching switch to tip, hot of the momentary to ring and ground of both to sleeve....
    THEN
    This jack goes to a Y with the latching to tip of cable A, momentary to tip of cable B - will the shared ground cause issues for switching applications downstream? The latching is for an amp, the momentary for an effects unit.

Yes cumbersome but real estate is tight so this should work with out a ton of re-rigging stuff.

Thanks!

I'd first measure continuity of each FS jack (in each device) and make sure sleeve is chassis ground. There's a possibility that the footswitch for a given device does not have a ground connection.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the reply, will ground the sleeve of my power supply as I’m sure that one is a certain ground. Thanks again

Comment

I think you missed my point. What I'm saying is that one or both of the devices run by the footswitch may not want to be grounded. It may be floating at some other potential above ground. If you ground it, something could be damaged or it may not work. So, check each footswitch input and verify that sleeve is ground on the device. If they are indeed both chassis ground, then you should be safe to proceed.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
        X